cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 ethernet ports not working

Neilpateluk
Tuning in

Hi,

New to Virgin. Have 3 netgear access points set up around my house to boost my wifi as the router isn't powerful enough to get wifi to all corners. 

Initial set up was fine and everything was working fine for about a week. Then suddenly yesterday it stopped working. Now I can't seem to connect anything via ethernet. The Wifi works fine, but anything connected via ethernet just says 'no internet'.  I've tried connecting (with a brand new ethernet cable) to the router to my laptop and again, 'no internet'. 

I've seen a few others who have had the same problem where an engineer was brought out to fix it. Tried calling Virgin to get to that resolution however they keep cutting me off when transferring me to different departments.  

Hoping someone here can help me!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Start right at the beginning. Put the Hub into its router mode, turn it off, disconnect everything from the 4 ports and do nothing for a few minutes.

Turn the Hub back on and wait for a few more minutes while it reinitialises and connects to the cable network. Be patient and wait as indicated.

Now turn the PC on wait for it to boot and get yourself logged in. Make sure you are setup for DHCP Ethernet and finally connect Ethernet from the PC to the Hub.

The Hub should allocate an IP in the 192.168.1.x range to the PC. You should now be able to browse the internet.

If windows will not connect then there is something configured wrongly on windows, as 192.168.1.x is a perfectly valid address range.

If you get this far successfully, then you have to consider what to do next. Maybe connect more Ethernet devices. Or first figure out how your netgear stuff works.

If the netgear system wants to be a router, you going to have to switch back to modem mode on the Hub. If you end up doing the latter, your own router must be the only thing connected to the Hub and must be configured for DHCP WAN address discovery. The Hub will move itself to a new address range, probably at address 192.168.100.1. If you can get connected to the Ethernet, the Hub should be visible at that address.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

Neilpateluk
Tuning in

Meant to say - tried a hard reset (pressing the reset button for 10 seconds) - didn't work. 

Tried to power it off and on again - didn't work. 

Thanks,

What is doing your routing? The Netgear system or the Hub? Make sure it is not both!

I have a google mesh and had to switch the Hub to modem mode as the primary google node is a router.

Hello Neilpateluk

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the forums in regards to your Mesh system and problems with ethernet connections, we're happy to help and welcome to the community.

As ratbert has advised, are you currently using the Hub (from ourselves) in modem mode with your Netgear equipment?

More details on Modem mode can be found here and how to set this up. In regards to the ethernet issues, can you try a loop test? This involves removing all ethernet cables from the back of the Hub and using one ethernet cable plugging it into two ports on the back.

Rob

Hi both,

I believe the virgin media hub 3 is the router. I didn't change anything when i received it.

As i say, it was working fine when i first set it up. It just suddenly stopped working 2 days ago.

Rob - i eventually got through to the technical team and they asked me to do the loop thing. I did it and both lights turned on where the cables were connected. They seemed happy with that. 

They believe something is wrong with the ethernet ports and are sending me a new hub 3. It arrives on Monday. Will update on whether that works or not. 

I'm the meantime, should I try to switch the hub 3 to modem mode?

Regards,

Neil

Hi Neilpateluk,

It is hard to say, as I don't know anything about your netgear set up.

If you are talking about simple independent AP's than probably not, as none of them is likely to be a router.

If it is a mesh system, then typically one of the nodes is designated as a master node and usually has a router built-in (plus DHCP, port forwarding, and other features). If this is the case, you almost certainly should try modem mode.

A master node usually has, or can have, two Ethernet connections. One to go to the WAN (which you would connect to the Hub port 1) and the other to your LAN if you have one. The LAN connection would usually go to a Ethernet switch, which connects all other Ethernet devices in you LAN.

In modem mode, the Hub only supports one Ethernet connection, port 1. The other three ports can't be used.

Looking at it another way, I have:

Hub 3 -> Master mesh node -> Ethernet switch => secondary mesh nodes (and other Ethernet devices). "->" represents a single connection, "=>" represents many connections.

What worries me is that some device on your network is getting an already-in-use IP address and that's when things start to go wrong and stop working. For example, a device might work some of the time and then stop working for a while.

Of course, it could also be broken ports on your hub.

Good luck!

Hi Neil,

Thanks for popping back with an update. 

Happy to hear a replacement hub has been issued - I can see this is in transit 🙂

Let us know if there's any further issues once you receive this. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi all,

So the new router arrived today. Connected it up and again, wifi is working but can't seem to connect to the internet via ethernet. Even if i just connect my laptop to the new router via ethernet, it still just comes back with 'Unidentified Network. No Internet'. 

I must be doing something wrong, but i really can't figure out what it is! 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Regards, 

It’s something in your devices then.

Have you tried with a device that isn’t yours personally I.e. borrowed a laptop from someone?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So you have had 2 Hubs and cant connect to either on ethernet cable - is that correct? If so then the problem is not Hub related and as you have wifi connections it isnt a problem with VM's network connection. 

Is this with all your netgear kit unplugged and off?

Try putting the Hub into modem mode and connecting directly into it on a laptop/computer with a known good new ethernet cable

If that doesnt work I would be looking at the ethernet cables, the devices network cards, the netgear stuff, any switches, etc, first

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.