Menu
petecostellouk
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 - ethernet connections drop out

Hi

I just switched from BT to Virgin and they installed a Hub 3 last week.  The Ethernet connection continually drops out (requiring a restart), while the wifi continues working fine.  I have tried disconnecting everything and having just my laptop connected and i get the same dropouts over Ethernet....I have even tried several cables, just in case.

Is this a known issue?

Cheers

Pete

0 Kudos
PaulJD
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 - ethernet connections drop out

Hi Pete,

i get the opposite of your issue! Ethernet should technically be a lot more stable than WiFi! Someone a lot more knowledgable will be along shortly I’m sure to help out. Personal experience with the Hub 3 is that it’s a bit rubbish! I have random lights flashing randomly even when I don’t have a problem. 

Hope  you get it fixed soon.

0 Kudos
VM219674
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Is this a known issue? Yes. It comes up on the forum here often.

I'm on my second Super Hub 3 attempting to solve this problem and I still get it.

The wifi I never have a problem with, only the LAN ports, but of course it is the LAN ports that are connected to the high demand items (TV and SONY PS4)

The only anecdotal guidance I can give you is that the Super Hub 3 seems very sensitive to the cables and the power draw across the LAN / Ethernet ports. I've got it to work with reasonable reliability by turning everything off and disconnecting all of the LAN / Ethernet cables from the back of the Super Hub 3. Let the box reboot and then after a minute or so stick a single cable in, let the power draw stabilize for a few minutes and then insert another LAN / Ethernet cable.

The Super Hub 3 also seems to dislike certain CAT5 network cables, one's which work perfectly fine with other network boxes, but which cause the Super Hub 3 to continuously disconnect / reconnect all the LAN / Ethernet ports. By removing these CAT5 cables from the configuration, I've managed to get the box up and keep it up for more than a week since the last drop-out (although I have other problems as well).

So basically try the above and try using alternate CAT5 cables to the ones you currently have plugged in.

When trying to diagnose if your cables are the problem, stick each LAN / Ethernet cable in one at a time and leave it for a minute. If the LAN / Ethernet disconnects then it is likely that the last cable you plugged in is one which the Super Hub 3 finds "problematic" (although quite why mystifies me)

Regards,

Andrew

quadfather
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Andrew

Thanks for the heads up, I have the same issue now after Virgin moved my Hub to centre of the building.  Wired connections now drop out,it had been working fine, but given the move LAN connections are now slightly different.  Will work fine for 2 days and then have to reboot all external network switches that are connected / vodafone sure signals etc to get them working again. Been doing it since last August when we moved things around with the idea of having Hub in middle of house should make things easier all round.  Should have left it where it was!!!  All had been working fine no issues at all, just had to have multiple wifi routers in the house to cover all rooms.

Julian.

0 Kudos
PSM1982
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Have you managed to find a permanent solution?

Just joined VM and have the same issue.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No two issues are really the same. Rather than tagging on to a 2 year old thread start one that details your specific issues and what equipment you are using on wifi and wired connections.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos