cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 dropping wireless and wired connections

tenchi_uk
On our wavelength

Dear All,

I've been helping troubleshoot my father-in-law's VM broadband service, he's been seeing intermittent dropouts of up to half an hour on wired and wireless connections at his place
for a few months now.

Trouble shooting steps so far taken :-
1) replaced old Hub 2 with Hub 3 from VM - no improvement
2) engineer callout, replaced splitter and all connectors attached coming into the property and replaced surge arrestor and filter between that and the Hub 3 - no improvement
3) got line placed on 24 hours monitoring - no improvement - see below for VM feedback

Monitoring was performed throughout via Cacti which is an enterprise ping/SNMP client monitoring tool.

The explanation I now have from VM is that due to a few devices having poor signal the Hub is restarting services to try and reconnect and improve the wifi connectivity taking down wired and external connectivity in the process, the only improvement will be by placing some boosters and trying to improve the signal and thus stability.

This doesn't sit well as to howcomes a router (the Hub 3) would completely reset if the wireless signal to a device it's connected to drops/becomes poor. I don't see this with my own VM Hub 3...
In all the years I've been in IT I've never heard of this as a practise - rebooting all the router's connections due to poor wifi signal, apparently this is the same for BT and EE according to VM ?

Can anyone confirm this is how the Hub 3 should function please ?

Next troubleshooting steps to do will be ask my father-in-law to do without wireless for a couple of days and wire all essential services like his TiVo box via ethernet and see if I get the same results. Failing that dump the VM Hub into modem mode and put in my own router/wireless solution for him...

Many thanks,

Neil

31 REPLIES 31

That's so great to hear! 

Please do pop back to the forums should you need any help in the future and we will do all we can to help! 

Thanks again for your updates. 

By resolved I mean that the cable pull is now scheduled on the correct VM account, I won’t be closing this thread until I’m getting clean low latency utilisation graphs…

Thanks for getting back to us @tenchi_uk

I hope the repull resolves the issue for you.  Please do update us with how things are progressing, after this has taken place and had time to assess.

Regards

Lee

tenchi_uk
On our wavelength

OMG... two steps forward one step back...

Instead of getting a cable pull team this morning we get a regular engineer ☹️

This chap has apologised and handed the ticket off to the correct team apparently this will be done today still (we hope) as the next available
slot is in JULY !

Whilst hovering at my FIL's this morning and digging around in the Hub I also noticed that 5GHz is disabled AGAIN and that the Hub only has 1 out of 4
upstream channels. I've corrected the wireless issue and taken it off of channel auto-select...

Running out of patience with this !

Cable team were a no-show in the end, this is unacceptable from VM !

After some backwards and forwards including an offer from VM of exiting the contract early penalty free the cable pull has been rescheduled to June 16th...

Hoping this will actually happen this time as this was the connection status yesterday :-

Screenshot 2022-06-13 102059.png

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the response tenchi_uk,

Do let us know how the appointment goes!

Take care for now,

Kain

tenchi_uk
On our wavelength

So post cable pull that got re-organised for June 16th from July 6th things appeared to be running really well… but this had happened before when remedial work had been carried out on my FIL’s VM connection so I’ve kept my monitoring in place. I am very glad that I did since the last 48hrs things have become worse than ever :-

tenchi_uk_0-1655968726357.png

tenchi_uk_1-1655968785953.png

So what’s the next step VM ? Have we got a broken Hub 3 ? 😡☹️👎

Almost there now - there was an overall outage in the area previously that skewed the results and I hadn't thought to check the status pages... my bad.

Ok so I think we're mostly there - another 24 hrs of monitoering and I may finally be able to close thise one out. The only reason I'm not doing it already is the three drops on the right of today's graph...

tenchi_uk_1-1656080611398.png

Hi tenchi_uk,

Thank you for keeping us posted with regards to your broadband service. 

How have things been since your post on Friday?

^Martin