cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 changes channel when set to manual

marc_lucas
Tuning in

I have around 8 wifi devices connected & they ALL run perfectly & fast when the router is set to 5Ghz only & CH 136 MANUALLY set.

However randomly this channel will change & some of my devices will no longer be able to connect.

As I was typing this my wifi disconnected & will no longer connect because the channel changed to 48!

So why when I MANUALLY set the channel does it change!?CH136.jpg

10 REPLIES 10

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Because channel 136 is a DFS channel and it will automatically change you to a non-DFS channel if it defects interference from a neighbouring radio/radar using the same channel (usually from military bases, weather stations etc).

Try using channel 100 or 108 instead and see if that works.

Channel 48 is a non-DFS channel so there’s no reason why devices won’t work on it. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

And just to add to that, you can't turn off the DFS for higher 5 GHz channels - it's built in and a requirement of the licensing to use that spectrum, even though there's a damn good argument that if the 1 watt power output of domestic routers could affect weather/military radar, then it doesn't bode well for the nation.

Thanks for your reply.

The main reason I want to use CH 136 is because it gives me the fastest connection (I'm guessing because not many people are using this channel)

I notice a significant speed loss using other channels such as 48.

On a side note can you guys supply me the new HUB 4 please?

It sure does make you wonder!

@marc_lucas wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

The main reason I want to use CH 136 is because it gives me the fastest connection (I'm guessing because not many people are using this channel)

I notice a significant speed loss using other channels such as 48.

Try one of the lower number DFS channels.

And why do you want a Hub4?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

Thanks will experiment with other channels.

Hub 4, mainly for the channel changing issue & later technology is always better!?

@marc_lucas wrote:

Yes, they will.  Just phone up and agree to a new, more expensive 18 month contract for a 1 Gbps connection.  The wifi is no better, mind you.

@marc_lucas wrote:

Thanks will experiment with other channels.

Hub 4, mainly for the channel changing issue & later technology is always better!?

Wrong on both counts 🙂

You have a Hub 4 and are basing this information on personal experience?