cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 change LAN IP address

HTG10
Tuning in

I'm replacing a Hub 2 with a hub 3. I have a total of 3 extra Wifi networks from different routers, all effectively in bridge mode, as well as a few other obscure odds and ends with fixed IP addresses which are tedious to change.

The Hub 2's IP address was 192.168.1.1, and the Hub 3's address is 192.168.0.1. It is possible (but very tedious indeed) to change everything to match the Hub 3, so I'd prefer to make the LAN IP address of the Hub 3 into 192.168.1.1.

Is this possible? How?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@HTG10 wrote:

Can you help with with how to do that then? The DHCP setting page allows you to set the number of dynamic addresses and a starting address (and a lease time). The starting address has the first two boxes fixed at 192.168, and then in principle, you can change the next two boxes. However, if I choose 1 for the subnet, it complains that "IP address is invalid". 

If it helps, I have the guest networks turned off.

Thanks in advance!

It’s invalid because it’s reserved for the Guest Network, enabled or not. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Yes. Change it on the DHCP admin page.

But I believe the 192.168.1.X range is reserved for the guest network. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

Can you help with with how to do that then? The DHCP setting page allows you to set the number of dynamic addresses and a starting address (and a lease time). The starting address has the first two boxes fixed at 192.168, and then in principle, you can change the next two boxes. However, if I choose 1 for the subnet, it complains that "IP address is invalid". 

Thanks in advance!

@HTG10 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

It’s invalid because it’s reserved for the Guest Network, enabled or not. 

Ah. So in other words, I can have any subnet I like except the one I want? I was worried that was the case. Boo hiss. Any workarounds come to mind? Or do I have to go to all the obscure things with fixed IP addresses and poke them individually?

Cheers, and thanks for helping.

Anonymous
Not applicable
use your own router and you can use what you like

I was afraid that would be the answer. That's another £100, or whatever. It seems a shame, 'cos the Hub 3 ac WiFi seems pretty solid. Ah well.

Give it time. You’ll see it’s about as solid as kinetic sand. 

Oh good! So thinking laterally, as I said, I have 3 other WiFi base stations, all bridges. There's also an old Apple Airport Extreme playing at being a network drive. Is it possible to turn off the DHCP in the Hub 3, use the Wifi, and use, say, the airport extreme for DHCP?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@HTG10 wrote:
Is it possible to turn off the DHCP in the Hub 3, use the Wifi, and use, say, the airport extreme for DHCP?

Thats not going to change the fact you can't have 192.168.1.0/24 on the hub.

---------------------------------------------------------------