cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 bug with 802.11n

VirAlexS
On our wavelength

I"ve just joined Virgin Broadband and I have what seems like an annoying bug with hub 3 (maybe others?). Perhaps others could confirm (not looking for workarounds).

To reproduce you must use a 2.4Ghz device capable of using Wireless n protocol. DO NOT USE 5ghz devices, or if you do, turn off 5Ghz for that device. I'm thinking of smart plugs, WiFi scales etc.

1) Log into hub 3.

2) Goto Wireless - Wireless signal.

3) Under 5Ghz wireless mode select 802.11ac and hit apply (This step is maybe not required but this is how I've done it).

4) Under 2.4Ghz wireless mode select 802.11n and hit apply.

After it takes a few minutes to settle any connected devices that support 802.11n will still work fine.

5) Goto Admin - Road and reboot, and reboot the hub.

This is the issue:

Wait 10 minutes or so. Your 802.11n devices (that don't run on 5ghz) cannot connect now.

Workaround:

You can put it back to 802.11 g/n mixed and hit apply and it will start working again (no need to reboot). Not ideal.

So I'm not looking for workarounds (already given it). Is this a know issue? Where can I report this to Virgin without having to go through a support desk and being told to troubleshoot? So I'm not looking for workarounds (already given it).

Thanks..

10 REPLIES 10

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Easiest and simplest way is to split the SSIDs into two names.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

VirAlexS
On our wavelength

Thanks but 802.11 is working, just not the 802.11n protocol. There is already a workaround at the bottom of my steps to reproduce.

I'm looking for others (especially Virgin engineers) to confirm what looks like a bug with the router. If so this needs to be fixed in firmware.

VirAlexS
On our wavelength

Oh just to add, many workarounds have already been tried, see here:
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-3-Wifi-mode-802-11n-only-not-working/td...

I'm still just keen to stick to topic here, and find out if others can follow the steps to repro and confirm the issue, especially Virgin engineers (please fix this!).

Thanks....

@VirAlexS wrote:

Oh just to add, many workarounds have already been tried, see here:
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-3-Wifi-mode-802-11n-only-not-working/td...

I'm still just keen to stick to topic here, and find out if others can follow the steps to repro and confirm the issue, especially Virgin engineers (please fix this!).

Thanks....

VM wont fix it.

Just put the hub into modem mode and be done with it. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

I want to give Virgin Media a chance to at least admit there is an issue here first. I have steps to reproduce in my first post. This is all I want to discuss.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but can we hold off from predicting how they will respond please and avoid a workaround discussion which is likely to send this thread down a rabbit hole.

Many thanks.

Virgin are you there?

The hub3 has been out since 2016/2017 and still has bugs from then.

A forum rep will reply here when ready - but it’s doubtful they can do anything about it either.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

Please let's keep to topic. Thx.

Sir, yes sir!

You changed the defaults VM will blame that
---------------------------------------------------------------