Menu
mdis89
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 better than business Vitron router?

So ive switched from residential to business broadband, and have had the hub3 replaced with a hitron router, and i have a few questions.

Can the Hub 3 receive a maximum of 100Mb? (Or is it tied to my old residential account that was 100Mb?)

Over a powerline adaptor, my hub 3 gives me about 91Mb, however the Hitron only gives me 30Mb? Why??? (same plug sockets tested, same laptop, only difference being is the router).

Ive been advised i need to turn Flow Control on, on the Hitron, how is this possible?

---

Hopefully you guys can be of help, all the negative poor performance is pointing specifically towards the new Hitron.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 better than business Vitron router?

Neither are much cop.

Modem mode and a separate router are your friend....

HUB3 is not limited to 100Mbps

mdis89
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Anything "cheap-ish", that you would recommend for a router? (That would give better performance than these 2 hubs).

Thanks for letting me know hub 3 isnt limited. But is there a chance the router itself is somehow linked to be old residential address? Wired to my PC it gets 100Mb down, where as the Hitron gets the full 350Mb down on the same machine, wired.
0 Kudos
chenks
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

usually you don't want to be looking in the "cheap-ish" market, you won't end up with anything any better than what you already have.

was your home package on the 100Mbps package? if yes then that's why the hub3 is set to that.
0 Kudos
mdis89
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ah, true. I actually looking at eventually getting a Mesh system such as the Tenda Nova MW6, would this be acceptable to try get high speeds house-wide? Or any other router recommendations (or even just an idea of what to avoid/specs to look out for).

Yes, previous house, package and router was on the 100Mbps package... Thanks for confirming that, really helpful.

Is it possible to "unlock" or configure it to work on my new 350Mbps business package?

0 Kudos
Dinsdale87
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I’m glad you’ve mentioned this. I’ve just signed up to Virgin and I’m getting installed next week. 

I’ve done my research and I’m not reading great things about the Hub 3, but what I am hearing is using the Hub 3 as a modem and getting a separate router. 

My question is, why? Why can’t we use a cable router/modem from say, Netgear and just put the Hub 3 in a drawer somewhere? Is there a reason why the Hub 3 is absolutely necessary? Is this a restriction from Virgin?

Because I have found something that I think will do the job from Netgear but I am reluctant to buy until those questions are answered. 

0 Kudos
chenks
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Dinsdale87 wrote:

My question is, why? Why can’t we use a cable router/modem from say, Netgear and just put the Hub 3 in a drawer somewhere? Is there a reason why the Hub 3 is absolutely necessary? Is this a restriction from Virgin?

Because I have found something that I think will do the job from Netgear but I am reluctant to buy until those questions are answered. 

because you can only use virgin equipment to connect to their network.

0 Kudos
BrianY
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

And just to add further to chenks reply, the source of the Virgin equipment has to be from Virgin themselves! And registered with Virgin before use.
So no getting any gear off those selling websites!
0 Kudos
mdis89
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So are there any recommendations for a new router to replace the virgin one?

Ive had a look around and found either a Tenda or TPLink router:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Wireless-Gigabit-UK-C7/dp/B00CEB53MS/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=wi-fi+rout...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-AC10U-1200Mbps-Dual-band-Power-saving/dp/B07C7Y9G96/ref=sr_1_6?keywor...

TPLink has an extra Ethernet port
Tenda would have 3, but has VPN abilities...

Are either of the above an improvement on the Hitron/Hub3?

Or any other recomendations?
Would like to enable VPN at router level, and at least 3 or 4+ gigabit ethernet ports

0 Kudos
mdis89
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Or/And is it worth installing a Mesh network aswell/instead of a better standalone router?

0 Kudos