Menu
Ron53
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 and modem mode

Just curious. I have a Hub 3 and use an ORBI (Netgear mesh product) with satellite (I am about to upgrade to wifi 6), I originally set this up with the Virgin box in modem mode as per the instructions. A while back I was still having wifi issues so reverted back to try the Virgin box in its normal router mode. Was no better, so I added the ORBI setup again. This time I did not initially put the Virgin box in modem mode. I was surprised to see that now both wifi networks are visible and both work, seemingly independent of each other. I am curious as to why bother with modem mode if this works anyway...or is there some intrinsic problem with having both wifi hubs visible that is not obvious?

0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 3 and modem mode

Modem mode is always much better. The low powered hubs, when in modem mode, do not have to do NAT, switching, routing or wireless and normally gives a much better service. One thing though, if you have circuit problems it does not matter what mode you run in.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
prowl
Dialled in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You can either have your
Hub 3 in modem / bridge mode - The Orbi handles everything.
Or
Orbi in Bridge mode - The Hub handles all the traffic and the Orbi just does wifi. If you do this you can have 2 Wifi networks, but they can end up clashing on the same channels.
0 Kudos
Ron53
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies. When my new wifi 6 ORBI arrives, I think I will put the Virgin. router back in modem mode....Hub 4 to replace it arriving soon too.

0 Kudos