cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 and modem mode

Ron53
Tuning in

Just curious. I have a Hub 3 and use an ORBI (Netgear mesh product) with satellite (I am about to upgrade to wifi 6), I originally set this up with the Virgin box in modem mode as per the instructions. A while back I was still having wifi issues so reverted back to try the Virgin box in its normal router mode. Was no better, so I added the ORBI setup again. This time I did not initially put the Virgin box in modem mode. I was surprised to see that now both wifi networks are visible and both work, seemingly independent of each other. I am curious as to why bother with modem mode if this works anyway...or is there some intrinsic problem with having both wifi hubs visible that is not obvious?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Modem mode is always much better. The low powered hubs, when in modem mode, do not have to do NAT, switching, routing or wireless and normally gives a much better service. One thing though, if you have circuit problems it does not matter what mode you run in.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Modem mode is always much better. The low powered hubs, when in modem mode, do not have to do NAT, switching, routing or wireless and normally gives a much better service. One thing though, if you have circuit problems it does not matter what mode you run in.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

prowl
Dialled in
You can either have your
Hub 3 in modem / bridge mode - The Orbi handles everything.
Or
Orbi in Bridge mode - The Hub handles all the traffic and the Orbi just does wifi. If you do this you can have 2 Wifi networks, but they can end up clashing on the same channels.

Thanks for the replies. When my new wifi 6 ORBI arrives, I think I will put the Virgin. router back in modem mode....Hub 4 to replace it arriving soon too.