cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 and Wifi pods not working well

venables
Up to speed

Probably 2 different issues, but both have started at the same sort of time...

My hub 3 now constantly has a red light on the front - I rang in to support and was told it was due to a network issue in the area (which would be a first, normally the light remained white even if the network was down), and according to the documentation it is due to being too warm. However, it remains red, even if turned off for ages to cool down (and it isnt warm anyway). This was all told to the CSR, but I was told to wait 24 hours... that was about 2 weeks ago, and its still red. To be fair I haven't tried calling back as generally the call isn't that useful.

Now it also reports random devices connected - apparently my office TV box isnt connected (but it is), and nor is my internal network router (I run an ASUS Mesh behind the Virgin Hub).  This is definitely connected as I am posting via that network, but the Hub refuses to show it.

As for the pods.. one apparently is connected to the Hub (according to the web page) but if I look via the app, neither pod is connected. Both are flashing constantly (green at the moment) so no idea what is going on.

Any ideas? I may get time to call in tomorrow morning and see what I get told this time, but it is all getting a bit unreliable it seems

11 REPLIES 11

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
stop using the pod put hub in modem mode use and use your ASUS Mesh
---------------------------------------------------------------

i keep all the IoT kit on the Hub3 wifi, and my own stuff protected behind it..  Plus when I upgrade my CCTV to be network based, it will need that second network so it doesnt stuff my own one, so I will run that off the Hub as well.  Might be paranoia, but does mean I have a better chance of all my PCs etc not getting knackered by a piece of rogue / out of date IoT device

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@venables wrote:

i keep all the IoT kit on the Hub3 wifi, and my own stuff protected behind it.

Your not protecting stuff with that setup all a IoT has to do is find the MAC of your router then ARP spoof traffic to route through it.

Either Three Dumb Routers

sn-545.pdf (grc.com)

or a router with subnets

---------------------------------------------------------------

My sole pod started flashing today also. Been fine since the end of the first trial.

part of it is protection (I only accept traffic from the IP of the hub to my router) and part of it is traffic separation - when I get the new CCTV setup I dont want GBs of data running all over my main home network to the network recorder.

If there's a chance ARP spoofing will get to the router, i may have a chance of spotting it on the IP side and just rejecting it.. if not then I'll know which bit of kit to terminate anyway.

The chances are that when I get the CCTV setup I will get another router as well, so I might just have to keep all 3 online as the doc says and go with that

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there venables,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Apologies for the issues faced, can I clarify that your Hub is still showing the red light after rebootiing for 2/3 minutes?

Let us know,

Kain

yes it is..

I managed to get through to someone on chat and an engineer is due next Monday..

Cheers

I rebooted the hub last night, and left if off (disconnected from power) for sometime to make sure it all discharged.

Red light just sits there glowing nicely still, but pods at least are not flashing at the moment..  The ethernet connected devices still dont show though, although they still work 🙂

I'll see what the engineer says Monday

Hi @venables

Welcome back to the community forums. 

Sorry to hear that you're having some service issues at this time. I have just had a little check at the system at our side to see if anything does flag but cannot see anything in the area that is currently affecting you. Please do let us know how you get on with the technician on Monday, we'll be here to support further should you need. 

Have a nice weekend, all the best. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley