cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 and TPlink deco M9 Plus

Tonybbb
Tuning in

just got a set of TP Link Deco M9 plus i have been through a lot of posts and understand how to put the Hub 3 in modem mode you guys have set that out nice and clear i understand the set of Modem to first M9 the M9 to switch  so i would like some some help with the following question if you can please 

do i set the M9s up with the hub switched off then try to connect both the M9s together then  the first M9 to the hub 3 with a ethernet cable  

or do i set the one up as a router connect then connect to the hub 3 and switch on and then connect the second M9 

to be honest not sure what i am talking about as not very tech minded so please try to keep the answers simple just like my self and thanks in advance for any step by step set instructions  

we need this as we are working from home and the bloody hub 3 wifi  drops out to often for work teams meetings thanks again  

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
I would just get the first M9 working with the hub in modem mode then get the others setup.

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Follow the instructions to setup the first Deco unit with it connected to the Hub whilst the hub is in normal router mode. 

When that's complete you need to turn off the Deco, and put the Hub in modem mode

When you've done that, power off the Hub, disconnect every wired device except the Deco

Now turn on both Hub, let it come back on line (about seven minutes).

Now turn the primary Deco on and you should have working wifi (with the Deco's wifi credentials!), and the spare ethernet port on the base of the Deco should allow you a wired etherent connection. 

Then follow instructions to add further Deco units.

A note of caution.  You mention dropouts on Teams.  You have checked to see if there's any broadband quality issues?  If this is one of the current rash of over-utilisation problems, then you've certainly bought yourself a dog's doodahs wifi setup that you can have the utmost confidence in, but any underlying broadband problem would remain.  Setup a BQM over at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a link to a live, shared graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post that immediately.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@legacy1 I would just get the first M9 working with the hub in modem mode then get the others setup.

Well, with all due respect you might not, because for the primary Deco unit to work, my understanding based on my own Deco setup is that it needs to register with the TP-Link servers in order to connect to the Deco app.  Maybe you can do that after you've put the hub in modem mode, and connected an unconfigured Deco but it isn't what the instructions specifically say.

4 REPLIES 4

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
I would just get the first M9 working with the hub in modem mode then get the others setup.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Follow the instructions to setup the first Deco unit with it connected to the Hub whilst the hub is in normal router mode. 

When that's complete you need to turn off the Deco, and put the Hub in modem mode

When you've done that, power off the Hub, disconnect every wired device except the Deco

Now turn on both Hub, let it come back on line (about seven minutes).

Now turn the primary Deco on and you should have working wifi (with the Deco's wifi credentials!), and the spare ethernet port on the base of the Deco should allow you a wired etherent connection. 

Then follow instructions to add further Deco units.

A note of caution.  You mention dropouts on Teams.  You have checked to see if there's any broadband quality issues?  If this is one of the current rash of over-utilisation problems, then you've certainly bought yourself a dog's doodahs wifi setup that you can have the utmost confidence in, but any underlying broadband problem would remain.  Setup a BQM over at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a link to a live, shared graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post that immediately.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@legacy1 I would just get the first M9 working with the hub in modem mode then get the others setup.

Well, with all due respect you might not, because for the primary Deco unit to work, my understanding based on my own Deco setup is that it needs to register with the TP-Link servers in order to connect to the Deco app.  Maybe you can do that after you've put the hub in modem mode, and connected an unconfigured Deco but it isn't what the instructions specifically say.

Thanks to every one up and running and  special thanks to tehwolf