cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 and Asus Lyra Minis

JShallis88
Joining in

Hi all, 

I have ended up with x3 Asus Lyra mini mesh system (courtesy of my father) who bought it and changed his mind a got a whole different system instead. 

Firstly I am an absolute beginner when it comes to networking - I have only ever used the modem/router/hub provided by my ISP and have never changed any setting or even logged onto the router via the web. 

I am hoping there are some very clever people out there that can help with the following questions:

1. Are the x3 Asus Lyra Minis compatible with the Virgin Hub 3 that I have as is?

2. If so - how might I go about connecting these Asus Lyra Minis with my Hub?

3.If not - Is there anything fairly simple I can do to make them work? (such as buying a separate router/modem?) or is it not worth it?

I have looked at the Asus website for these answers but as I am not familiar with much of the terminology, it was a bit Greek to me. 

I have intermittent wifi in one of the upstairs bedrooms (where my wife works) and zero wifi in our garage, which will eventually become our home office. I have looked at other mesh systems like Google, nest and BT whole house to help with this, but wanted to know if I can make use of these surplus Asus Lyra mini things. 

Any help is appriciated, 

ta

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

These should work.  The 1st mini needs a cable connection to your Hub, Cat 6 preferably.

The 2nd mini need to be in range of the 1st mini to propagate the wifi signal, and the 3rd mini needs to be in range of the 1st or 2nd mini depending on your wifi needs and shape of property.  The ASUS phone app should help in this respect.

The only other caveat I would suggest, is all 3 minis should have static IP addresses set outside the  DHCP scope of the Hub.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

These should work.  The 1st mini needs a cable connection to your Hub, Cat 6 preferably.

The 2nd mini need to be in range of the 1st mini to propagate the wifi signal, and the 3rd mini needs to be in range of the 1st or 2nd mini depending on your wifi needs and shape of property.  The ASUS phone app should help in this respect.

The only other caveat I would suggest, is all 3 minis should have static IP addresses set outside the  DHCP scope of the Hub.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Adduxi - Thank you!

You have made my day! 

Question: Is there a particular way I need to plug things in and turn things on and off/turn hub into router mode? I have seen this is required when installing nest mesh systems?

Thanks again!

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The mini's, as far as I can tell, do not have any router functions, so they just extend/propagate the wifi signal.  You just need to leave the Hub in Router mode as normal and they should work. If you use the ASUS app, you can set the SSID on the mini's to match the existing VM SSID and password from the Hub.  It may well be the app will do all this for you of course.?