Menu
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 11 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 3 Wifi can use 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz but not both

Look at this thread see if any of it is useful - it seems similar
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Password-cant-be-same-as-guest-network-but-...

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 12 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@jeffd wrote:

Did that a few times yesterday but have done it again today, no change.

Separate / different SSID don't accept password / authentication so can login to neither, unless I disable one.

Thinking I might go back to hub 2, I can't see any advantage in Hub 3. In theory I should be able to use the VM Connect app but it doesn't work on either my Swift 2X or iPad.

If you have had the intelligent WiFi update, a lot of the earlier hubs are falling foul of the password strength testing. This means the factory set passwords are seen a not secure. If once you have split the SSIDs you add a number or letter to BOTH passwords (they CAN be the same) it will work.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 13 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

If you have had the intelligent WiFi update, a lot of the earlier hubs are falling foul of the password strength testing. This means the factory set passwords are seen a not secure.

You couldn't make this stuff up - priceless.  Smiley Happy

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jeffd
Tuning in
Message 14 of 22
Flag for a moderator

yes that worked thank you but see other replies.

0 Kudos
jeffd
Tuning in
Message 15 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jb,

That has helped a lot, thank you. I now have the 2 different SSIDs working. I did the guest access pw change too and rebooted.

iPad on 5 G has download of 51.9Mb

Swift 2X on 2.4 G has a pathetic 1.86 Mb 😞

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi jeffd,

Very glad to hear you have resolved the issues with your WiFi. These were great suggestions from our other users, thank you everyone that helped. 

With regards to your speeds, there doesn't seem to be anything obvious from here causing this. Are any of your other devices connected on the 2.4G connection having issues with speeds?

Thanks

Lindsey_C

0 Kudos
jeffd
Tuning in
Message 17 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lindsey_C,

Only the swift 2X was connected at that time. If I connect to one of my other WAPs, I get 30+ Mb download, indicates not a problem with the Swift. It used to get those speeds on the Hub 2.

I'm leaning towards going back to the Hub 2, I can then set the LAN IP to 10.0.0.0. or 172.16.0.0 network and I'll still get firewall & network log reports emailed to me.

Cheers

Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
Flag for a moderator

HI jeffd.

Thanks for testing your device on other connections, we just want to be really clear if there is any interference ion your 2.4 connection.

To do this, have you got other devices you can use to connect top the 2.4Ghz connection? If you have, please can you run a speed test on these devices and see if you are getting the same issue?

Thanks

Lindsey_C

0 Kudos
jeffd
Tuning in
Message 19 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lindsey_C,

I'm now back on Hub 2 🙂

Just got to in 30+ yrs as an IT Pro, I haven't come across many things as dire as the Hub 3. It's even using an old Linux kernel.

Sometimes you have to accept that polishing turds is not the way forward 🙂

Cheers

Jeffd

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 20 of 22
Flag for a moderator

How easy was it to get it reactivated (I assume you still had the hardware)?

--------------------
0 Kudos