cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3. WiFi keeps auto re-enabling every 10 mins

cd67232382
On our wavelength

I have a TP-Link Deco mesh WiFi system at home so I have disabled the WiFi on my Hub3, however recently I noticed I kept getting performance issues on my mesh network.  

I logged back into my hub3 to find the WiFi had been switched back on, which I assumed must have happened since the email that came out saying Virgin had improved WiFi.  I disabled the WiFi again and went about my business, only to find sometime later I was getting issues.   I logged back into the Hub3 and WiFi was back on. 

As a test I disabled WiFi but left the page open in my browser and periodically refreshed the page, and it seems it takes about 10 minutes before it ends up enabled again. 

Does anyone have any ideas or has seen this before?    I can't say when it started but I'm pretty sure this has only started up since I got the email about the router update for improved WiFi

110 REPLIES 110

Chris95
Tuning in

What a surprise, yet another terrible thing to add to the long list of nonsense the SH3 brings.

I run an IT support business - I frequently deploy multiple Wireless Access Points with ethernet backhaul and consumer mesh systems.

Putting the "Super" Hub in modem mode is massive overkill for most of my clients - they neither want nor need the additional features a third party router offers. Leaving the SH3 in-situ as a wired only router is a perfectly valid use case.

Re-enabling WiFi when it has been explicitly disabled in the admin interface is a BUG. Plain and simple. I expect the "QA" team at Virgin will eventually "fix" this - just like they did with the awful Puma6 chipset in the modem.

The SH4 is even worse - it sounds like a harrier jump jet under load.

I was a customer for 7 years until this year and I left because VM is terrible - I will be advising all my clients to do the same.

@Chris95 wrote:

What a surprise, yet another terrible thing to add to the long list of nonsense the SH3 brings.

I run an IT support business - I frequently deploy multiple Wireless Access Points with ethernet backhaul and consumer mesh systems.

Putting the "Super" Hub in modem mode is massive overkill for most of my clients - they neither want nor need the additional features a third party router offers. Leaving the SH3 in-situ as a wired only router is a perfectly valid use case.

Re-enabling WiFi when it has been explicitly disabled in the admin interface is a BUG. Plain and simple. I expect the "QA" team at Virgin will eventually "fix" this - just like they did with the awful Puma6 chipset in the modem.

The SH4 is even worse - it sounds like a harrier jump jet under load.

I was a customer for 7 years until this year and I left because VM is terrible - I will be advising all my clients to do the same.

A consumer mesh system would require the hub to run in Modem Mode anyway - leaving it in Router Mode and setting the Mesh to AP/Bridge mode is just silly business.

Also they never really "fixed" the Puma6 chipset but put a band aid over it.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1842/

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/207621056-How-do-I-set-up-my-eero-if-I-want-to-keep-my-ex...

And the BT Whole Home system doesn't even have a router mode.

Keep quiet unless you know what you are talking about. Spamming the thread with nonsense is not helping get Virgin to fix the issue.

And that was my point about Puma6 - they didn't fix it. Perhaps I need an /s for those less intelligent.

@Chris95 wrote:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1842/

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/207621056-How-do-I-set-up-my-eero-if-I-want-to-keep-my-ex...

And the BT Whole Home system doesn't even have a router mode.

Keep quiet unless you know what you are talking about. Spamming the thread with nonsense is not helping get Virgin to fix the issue.

And that was my point about Puma6 - they didn't fix it. Perhaps I need an /s for those less intelligent.

Why anyone would want to leave the hub in Router Mode is beyond me though - that's the point I was making.

Mesh Systems that support acting as routers should be made to do so - putting them in AP/Bridge mode just makes zero sense. Putting it in Modem Mode is not overkill at all, but the logical thing to do. Why leave a subpar underpowered router to handle your NAT, routing, DHCP, DNS etc.?

And yes I know the the BTWW requires the hub to be left in Router Mode - they are just repeaters really.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

@gary_dexter wrote:.

Why anyone would want to leave the hub in Router Mode is beyond me though - that's the point I was making.

Mesh Systems that support acting as routers should be made to do so - putting them in AP/Bridge mode just makes zero sense. Putting it in Modem Mode is not overkill at all, but the logical thing to do. Why leave a subpar underpowered router to handle your NAT, routing, DHCP, DNS etc.?

And yes I know the the BTWW requires the hub to be left in Router Mode - they are just repeaters really.

[REMOVED]

A multipoint Wireless Access Point setup with ethernet backhaul is a perfectly good deployment to extend WiFi range. Buying an additional edge device doesn't always make sense for everyone if actual network load is low and range is the only issue.

The Eero system isn't compatible with PPPoE in router mode so anyone not VM has to use that in Bridge/AP mode.

And as you say, the BTWW doesn't act as a router so also requires one - so an additional expense unless you use the ISP provided one.

[REMOVED]

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate against guidelines. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

@Chris95 wrote:

@gary_dexter wrote:.

[REMOVED]

A multipoint Wireless Access Point setup with ethernet backhaul is a perfectly good deployment to extend WiFi range. Buying an additional edge device doesn't always make sense for everyone if actual network load is low and range is the only issue.

The Eero system isn't compatible with PPPoE in router mode so anyone not VM has to use that in Bridge/AP mode.

And as you say, the BTWW doesn't act as a router so also requires one - so an additional expense unless you use the ISP provided one.

[REMOVED].

Not at all - I don't know why you are talking about PPPoE when we're talking about VM here... 🙄

However if you have customers that require you to install simple plug-and-play devices for them then I dread to think what you charge them for the privilege!!

Now be on your way...

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Chris95 wrote:

<snip>  And the BT Whole Home system doesn't even have a router mode.  <snip>

At least with BT you can use your own Router from the get go, and have IPv6 to boot  🙂  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@gary_dexter wrote:

Not at all - I don't know why you are talking about PPPoE when we're talking about VM here... 🙄

However if you have customers that require you to install simple plug-and-play devices for them then I dread to think what you charge them for the privilege!!

Now be on your way...

I mention PPPoE because you aggressively asserted that nobody would ever need to continue to utilise an ISP router with WiFi disabled - you didn't specify VM so I don't see your point.

[REMOVED]

[REMOVED]

Thanks for your input - Twitter support guides complaints here for "better support".

Totally scraping the barrel.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate against guidelines. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

I'm having exactly the same issue as the OP. Identical. wifi settings keep turning themselves back on after i disabled them. very frustrating as i have dedicated AP's doing that task.

i may well stick it in modem mode as well, but that does mean adding another blooming router to the desk along with the 2 wifi points and the bulky VM3 box as well. at this rate i'll have no power sockets left.

Hardware version: 10
Software version: 9.1.1912.304

not sure if that is the same as the OP's but thats what im currently running.

any suggestions would be great. 

ahh i see. i've read all the pages on this post now... i see its the opt-in / opt-out on the vm online profile thats likely doing it.

The wifi has to be on to send out the virgin hotspot feature. They could present it much better in the router if they just stuck it under a guest/hotspot checkmark/tab...