cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3. WiFi keeps auto re-enabling every 10 mins

cd67232382
On our wavelength

I have a TP-Link Deco mesh WiFi system at home so I have disabled the WiFi on my Hub3, however recently I noticed I kept getting performance issues on my mesh network.  

I logged back into my hub3 to find the WiFi had been switched back on, which I assumed must have happened since the email that came out saying Virgin had improved WiFi.  I disabled the WiFi again and went about my business, only to find sometime later I was getting issues.   I logged back into the Hub3 and WiFi was back on. 

As a test I disabled WiFi but left the page open in my browser and periodically refreshed the page, and it seems it takes about 10 minutes before it ends up enabled again. 

Does anyone have any ideas or has seen this before?    I can't say when it started but I'm pretty sure this has only started up since I got the email about the router update for improved WiFi

110 REPLIES 110

cd67232382
On our wavelength

Interesting that you can still access with WiFi off. I might test that later.  Attached is a screenshot of the settings I have been disabling. As you can see it's back on again!Screenshot 2021-03-04 113511.jpg

@cd67232382 wrote:

I find it hard to believe they would do something so glaringly incompetent, so I'm thinking there must be a bug somewhere.

i suspect you’re right - it’s more likely a bug than an intentional feature. doesn’t change much though, if it is a bug it’s anyones guess as to when a fix will be issued for it. 

@cd67232382 wrote:

Interesting that you can still access with WiFi off. I might test that later.  Attached is a screenshot of the settings I have been disabling. As you 

a couple of screen shots of my hub3 UI - these were grabbed by logging onto 192.168.0.1 after changing my wifi to one of the hub3 wifi networks which as you can see is disabled - so how i can see it let alone log into it i have no idea

wifi1.pngwifi2.png

Tony.
Sacked VIP

This is happening to me right now! I still need to use my hub 3's lan ports for my main pc while using another port for a separate asus wifi router. After about 10 minutes it keeps bloody re-enabling itself, I noticed the same as you in regards to the channel optimization buttons so I've tried every combination of turning those off first and its still bringing itself back. I've put it into modem mode for the moment but I don't intend on continuing with this option.

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi cd67232382,

Welcome to the Community Forums, thank you for your post.

I'm sorry for our delayed response and to hear you've been having some trouble with your broadband connection. Can you please confirm if you have tested your Hub 3 in router mode and using it's own WiFi to see if the issues still occur?

I've been able to locate your account but your hub isn't currently showing as 'unreachable', so I'm unable to run any diagnostics on it right now. Is the hub currently turned on?

Thanks,

Beth

Beth

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Beth_G wrote:

Can you please confirm if you have tested your Hub 3 in router mode and using it's own WiFi to see if the issues still occur?

I think you missed the point they don't want the wifi on in router mode. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

cd67232382
On our wavelength

You've clearly not read the issue I have.  There is no problem with my broadband,  that works fine.  

Why would I test the WiFi of hub3 ? I know that works as I literally can't turn it off!!!!

Hey - I didn't understand what you would technically like to do - but a roll of foil around a shoebox placed over the hub will stop it broadcasting WIFI.  I have some copper mesh actually.

If Virgin have a bot that is re-enabling all wifi so they use your home to make money by broadcasting the router's signals to anyone walking outside - this might be the only way to deal with it.

Pretty tragic that this is what I might actually have to end up doing!

Yes tragic, but also par for the course these days.

Many companies are using Covid to do dodgy things that they would not normally be able to do.  A bit of a smash and grab whilst the emergency goes on.

I remember couple of years ago or so Virgin talking about using people's routers for passing traffic walking down the street, but technically I don't know what it is.

One thing is for sure, switching the 5GHZ broadcast back on against the user's consent is something new they are doing.

AFAIK ... of course they won't be advertising these things.

Let us know how you get on.