cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 Wi Fi issues

nsw1654
Tuning in

Hub 3 with M600 Broadband. Two devices connected via Cat5 and numerous devices via WiFi ay varioius times. When it is working the WiFi is brilliant. No issues. The wired connections are constant with good speed and no connection issues.

The issue is this. The WiFi will periodically drop out. Once a week or several times a day. It will eventually return. Open the router settings page when this happens and I either see that the WiFi channels have both been disabled. Enabling again sorts the issue until the next time. Or when logging into the settings, the connected devices logo takes an age to turn green then all is good again. Hard wired is constant and no pronlems presented. Ping tests when the system as a whole is working show good connectivity to various other locations with no packet loss etc.

I have now had three very exasperating calls to Tech Help. They run all the usual tests etc etc and no apparent issue. Yesterday I was told there were issues with the service in my area which might affect the WiFi output. It has been left to monitor for 24 hrs. I tried to explain that this is ongoing. I feel the Router itself may be failing. But they wont send a new one. The inference being that until it fails no go.

Can WAN and service issues cause the router to disable WiFi on a fairly frequent basis? Also when I have to reset the router settings it can take 3/4 attempts for the router to save any changes.

Any advice or knoweldge would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Phone help won't have a clue about this so don't waste your time with them.

If you are certain that the ethernet connections remain stable when the WiFi drops out, it's not a WAN issue. You can confirm the broadband feed by setting up a free BQM at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality and posting a live link here.

Either the Hub's WiFi is failing or there is strong interference.  The first is most likely.   I think you will need help from Forum staff to get a replacement organised.  Or you could get yourself a better WiFi router and leave the Hub in modem mode.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Phone help won't have a clue about this so don't waste your time with them.

If you are certain that the ethernet connections remain stable when the WiFi drops out, it's not a WAN issue. You can confirm the broadband feed by setting up a free BQM at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality and posting a live link here.

Either the Hub's WiFi is failing or there is strong interference.  The first is most likely.   I think you will need help from Forum staff to get a replacement organised.  Or you could get yourself a better WiFi router and leave the Hub in modem mode.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi Thank you. You have confirmed my own thoughts. I dont think its interference. I alway ensure that my WiFi channels are not the same as others nearby. Ethernwt always remains connected and stable. How do I get forum staff to see this? Or just flag for moderator. Thanks again.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

A VM person should be along in due course, but they may be a little reluctant to organise a replacement without some evidence.

It would be helpful if you could post the BQM link.

- jpeg1

Oki Dokie

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi nsw1654, thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about the issues you've been having with your hub. I wasn't able to look further into it using your forum info alone on this occasion, please get back to me via PM an we'll do all we can to help from there.

Tom