cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 V Hub 4

MDub
Tuning in

For wireless strength and number of devices that can be connected is Hub 4 better than Hub3?

My Hub 3 is very poor in my situation so unless Hub 4 can improve things I'll be leaving Virgin.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

i installed a hub4 a little while ago and would say the wifi is marginally better - but its still nothing like a 3rd party wifi router i use

if you decision to stay or go is based around the wifi on VM hubs then thats your call - the answer to poor wifi on all the vm hubs is to add your own wifi devices - a 3rd party router or a mesh system - do that and you will be more than happy

looking at all other isp's the main push is wifi in any room but how good that wifi is and what speeds you can expect is hidden in the small print

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

g0akc
Problem sorter

From what I've heard the Hub 4 Wi-Fi is worse than the hub 3

It does however allow more bonded channels for the cable connection

Get a good Wi-Fi router or mesh and put the hub 3 in modem mode

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

g0akc
Problem sorter

I'd suggest the first step is to do a Wi-Fi 'survey' using a good app such as inSSIDer on windows or one of the Android apps (there are decent free ones).

You can then map the strength and any contention (say from neighbouring hub) in each room/location and form a view of what solution is best.

You will know best what speed/stability is required at each point - for example I have some IoT (smart plugs) at the extremes of my property - speed isn't much of an issue but reliability is.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

17 REPLIES 17

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

i installed a hub4 a little while ago and would say the wifi is marginally better - but its still nothing like a 3rd party wifi router i use

if you decision to stay or go is based around the wifi on VM hubs then thats your call - the answer to poor wifi on all the vm hubs is to add your own wifi devices - a 3rd party router or a mesh system - do that and you will be more than happy

looking at all other isp's the main push is wifi in any room but how good that wifi is and what speeds you can expect is hidden in the small print

Tony.
Sacked VIP

g0akc
Problem sorter

From what I've heard the Hub 4 Wi-Fi is worse than the hub 3

It does however allow more bonded channels for the cable connection

Get a good Wi-Fi router or mesh and put the hub 3 in modem mode

g0akc
Problem sorter

I'd suggest the first step is to do a Wi-Fi 'survey' using a good app such as inSSIDer on windows or one of the Android apps (there are decent free ones).

You can then map the strength and any contention (say from neighbouring hub) in each room/location and form a view of what solution is best.

You will know best what speed/stability is required at each point - for example I have some IoT (smart plugs) at the extremes of my property - speed isn't much of an issue but reliability is.

I currently use the Hub 3 in Modem Mode with a mesh router and the Wifi is now very good.  Will there be any benefit to upgrading to the Hub 4 if I only use it in Modem Mode in the same way?

TIA

lotharmat
Community elder
Only if you upgrade to 1Gb/s broadband which can only be supplied through the Hub 4 - Otherwise zero benefit!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The only other situation where it would help is if you were in a location where the extra down channels might stabilise the connection. But that's VM's call... and its why they are offering Hub4 swaps for those with connection issues - but only to a small number of customers not on 1GB.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I think being offered a Hub 4 if you are not on 1Gbs is tacit admission that VM are oversubscribed and the Hub 4 is a band aid that may or may not work!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

EAB2021
On our wavelength

I've recently moved to a house with Virgin and the wi-fi is frankly rubbish. In some rooms of the house it simply doesn't work at all. 

How far is the stated range of the Hub4? I'm unable to get enough signal in my garden room to stream Netflix, let alone play the X-Box and it's less than 50m from the router

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@EAB2021 wrote:

<snip>  How far is the stated range of the Hub4? I'm unable to get enough signal in my garden room to stream Netflix, let alone play the X-Box and it's less than 50m from the router

There is no stated range.  No ISP will guarantee wifi distance as there are far too many variables that can interfere with wifi.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks