cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 Upgrade

VJon2021
Tuning in

Hello,

I've repeatedly tried to get the free Hub 3 upgrade to which I'm entitled (I've had a Hub 2 for the last 8 years I've been with VM).

I updated my package about a month back, making a few pound savings, and asked for the Hub 3 then, they said of course, that was ordered and would be with me 5 days later. A couple weeks later when that hadn't happened, I contacted support again through Chat, explained the issue and then had to sit through the agent trying to upsell me services, when I said I didn't want that, I just wanted the free Hub 3 they were quite displeased and put me back to the chat bot. I tried again, and spoke to someone else, who claimed that they couldn't help me and would connect me to technical support via the bot, they jsut sent me back to the bot too.

I then called up, and eventually (you have absolutely the worst phone system I've dealt with) maanged to get through to a human being. They weren't very sure how to order the Hub and said they had a lot of menus to look through and kept putting me on and off hold. After 20 minutes, they said it was all sorted and ordered and would be with me in 2 days. Nothing ever arrived.

The next week I filled out a complaint form, explaining exactly what had happened and that all I wanted was my free Hub 3 upgrade, to which I am entitled. This was the response:

"Your complaint was:
Cable > Customer Experience > Staff Conduct 

We’ve looked into it and here’s what we found:
First and foremost we are really disappointed to hear we have fallen short of your expectations as a customer, rest assured the feedback you have provided will be raised with the relevant areas of the business to help improve the quality of our service.
We appreciate your patience in this matter and apologise for the delay in resolving the issue. I am sorry to inform you that we will be able to order a replacement box only when account holder is online with us over the chat or phone. This process is in place to make sure the security of the customer details. You need to speak to our faults team at below mentioned number, as they will run some diagnostic tests to know the issue and provide you with the solution. Since the order was placed earlier and you did not receive the equipment, our associate will process the replacement order accordingly.
For any help and support you need with your Virgin Media services, or on what to expect on the day of install, head over to virginmedia.com/help. I would also recommend checking out our TV apps like Virgin TV Go. You can download both of these apps to any compatible iOS or Android device. 

Here’s what we offer as resolution:
Package > Extra info on package and product

We hope this works for you."

Which is useless. I didn't need a new 'box', it's the Hub I'm talkign about, and there's not a fault with it (other than it generally being flakey anyway), I just want the free upgrade I'm entitled to. That I've twice been told was ordered and I'd shorlty recieve, and both times nothign ever happened.

Are there any staff here that might be able to help me, please? It would be very much appreciated. Thanks very much.

11 REPLIES 11

goslow
Alessandro Volta

FWIW, VM hubs have been in short supply in recent times. So much so that VM are recycling units including the older Superhub 2ac. Even if you are allocated a replacement hub 3, it may well be (very much) used and in second hand condition. It might not fall into the normal definition of an 'upgrade'.

asim18
Fibre optic

Yeah goslow is correct. VM has run out of modems.

I was also forced to get a "new" Hub 3 because they were replacing my analogue telephone line with digital.

They ended up sending me three old manky customer returns. One of them was completely broken to pieces and the other two were just old. Had to choose the best condition one and send the other two back. I enquired about new stock arrival and they had absolutely no idea if/when any new modems would arrive and told me to try again in a few months.

If they have no new stock by the time my contract is over I will have to switch to a company that deals with brand new stock.

Unfortunately new stock of anything is becoming more and more scarce due to the new space rocket tourism businesses which is consuming what's left of earths resources. They need virgin materials to build the space rockets so we have to recycle old modems. Plastic, fuel and raw materials are an investment now, If they spend £50000 of plastic and microchips on a space rocket there is bigger margin for profit than if you spend £50000 worth of plastic and microchips on new internet modems. This is why there is a chip shortage as well as a modem shortage.

Thanks both, that's interesting to know. I still hope one of the VM team no here can help me out, as  I see they've managed to help people previously with getting a Hub 3 when the normal processes were failing. But I guess not to expect too much if they literally don't have any...

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Out of interest why do you need a Hub3? What's not working properly on the SH2? Many on here would say the SH2 is superior to both Hub3/4 in many aspects.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

The wifi is very flakey. My flat's not very big, but the signal struggles to get to my bedroom and drops out all the time.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Time to stop using the hub in router mode and use modem mode with your own wireless router with 1Gb ports.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, that's something I can look into!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
This is a good price right now for a decent basic router that should be fine for a small flat

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-C6-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B07L5YRYF4/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks, that's good to know I'll consider that. Would still like someone from VM itself to actually reply to me here though...