cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 Terrible WiFi Coverage

ngk
Joining in

Hello,

As the topic title suggests.  I’m absolutely sick of the terrible WiFi coverage.  About 12 months ago I had a superhub 3 installed.  After this point WiFi coverage in my home has been absolutely terrible.  

Perviously an engineer made some changes which improved things marginally but it was nowhere near as good as the old hub they replaced.

I had to reset my hub yesterday after an issue so these changes have now been lost.  I am now unable to connect a fire stick to WiFi in my bedroom.

I am just so sick and tired of these ongoing issues.  As mentioned even after the engineer changes around 12 months ago is was still far from great and nowhere near as good as the system the superhub3 replaced.

can anyone offer any help and advice as I see numerous posts with these issues or am I just doomed to suffer like everyone else?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@ngk wrote:

still maddening that I’ll have to spend £300+ to get working WiFi.  Terrible state of affairs 

You only need to spend half that for a simple home router :

ZyXEL Armor G1 Multi-Gigabit AC2600 WiFi Router - Large Home Coverage. 1 x 2.5Gbps WAN Port, 4 x Gig...

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Some thoughts I have posted before... as a starter....

Assuming your wired connections are all ok, then getting your own wireless equipment will solve any wifi issues permanently, and will be transferable to other BB suppliers kit should you move supplier.

Get either..... (1) A Mesh System, (2) A Wireless router, (3) A Wireless access point or (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

I would say a good Mesh will be the best/simplest/most flexible for most average users.  A Triband system is better for the "backhaul" and for users on high speed packages and umpteen simultaneous connections.

It depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£60-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router but 'may' not alone solve the wifi in your house, but spending up to ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system. You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users (£300 for tri-band Mesh), and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a mansion

Good options for Access points are fromUbiquiti, (routers also) and also, from these companies - for their WiFi routers or Mesh systems: Asus, TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Tenda Nova's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than Johnnie-come-latleys like Google, Amazon, etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically say that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports.

Recently, just as an example... two of my friends who both live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, both just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and both told me it is - “absolutely brilliant with full wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”. The first Mesh unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features” you need. Ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2/unit , so you “may” need to add in an unmanaged GB port switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Finally if you get a 2/3-pack of any Mesh system, which doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh". Post again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-3-0-compatibility-with-Mesh-systems/m-p...

But be aware that a mesh or new router is only going to resolve wireless problems. If there's an issue with the cable broadband, they can't fix that.

5 REPLIES 5

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Thank you for your help.  Would you have any suggestions?  I was thinking the google mesh WiFi product?

still maddening that I’ll have to spend £300+ to get working WiFi.  Terrible state of affairs 

Thanks in advance for any help

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@ngk wrote:

You only need to spend half that for a simple home router :

ZyXEL Armor G1 Multi-Gigabit AC2600 WiFi Router - Large Home Coverage. 1 x 2.5Gbps WAN Port, 4 x Gig...

---------------------------------------------------------------

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Some thoughts I have posted before... as a starter....

Assuming your wired connections are all ok, then getting your own wireless equipment will solve any wifi issues permanently, and will be transferable to other BB suppliers kit should you move supplier.

Get either..... (1) A Mesh System, (2) A Wireless router, (3) A Wireless access point or (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

I would say a good Mesh will be the best/simplest/most flexible for most average users.  A Triband system is better for the "backhaul" and for users on high speed packages and umpteen simultaneous connections.

It depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£60-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router but 'may' not alone solve the wifi in your house, but spending up to ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system. You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users (£300 for tri-band Mesh), and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a mansion

Good options for Access points are fromUbiquiti, (routers also) and also, from these companies - for their WiFi routers or Mesh systems: Asus, TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Tenda Nova's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than Johnnie-come-latleys like Google, Amazon, etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically say that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports.

Recently, just as an example... two of my friends who both live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, both just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and both told me it is - “absolutely brilliant with full wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”. The first Mesh unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features” you need. Ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2/unit , so you “may” need to add in an unmanaged GB port switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Finally if you get a 2/3-pack of any Mesh system, which doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh". Post again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-3-0-compatibility-with-Mesh-systems/m-p...

But be aware that a mesh or new router is only going to resolve wireless problems. If there's an issue with the cable broadband, they can't fix that.