cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 Solid Red Light

BigOvo69
Joining in

Hello everybody,

I noticed a few months ago that the light on the front of my Hub had turned red, I wasn’t sure what this meant at the time but the Wi-Fi was not affected so I carried on as normal.

Over the past few weeks we have really started to struggle with connectivity which is very intermittent. My Ring doorbell drops out every day (which means I have to dismantle it and remove the battery pack to reset it) and I have been struggling with my other connected devices. They usually state that the device is connected but there is no internet or sometimes it just disconnects whilst it waits for the network quality to improve.

I am always in the house and often close by the Hub so I know this is not a Wi-Fi range issue.

I have reset the Hub several times and although everything connects back up, the red light remains and the connectivity continues to be intermittent.

I did read that it could be that it was overheating but it did not feel hot to touch. I moved the Hub away from the PlayStation and set top box into free air space anyway but this had no affect. I checked all the connections and the cables / wires are in good order.

I'm not sure what else I can do, has anybody else found themselves in a similar situation? I have just upgraded to the 350 package so would like to get this resolved to make the most of it.

Dean.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
VM will respond re the red light soon - but whilst waiting you could try this

If you haven't done this already - try it first - it helps sort some Hub3/4/5 wifi issues for some devices.
Go into the Hub’s settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless signal >smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box or “Smart Wifi” box and save settings.  May be different pathways and wording on the 3 Hub types
Then, go to advanced>wireless signal>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just type over to change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - Billybob2 & Billybob5) Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices. Use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want each device to connect to… individually from the "available networks" list on each of your devices. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
All things being equal, 5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less congestion/interference (and is better for iDevice speeds than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and will be needed when the 5 GHz drops out of range and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App (or Airport Utility on iOS) to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.
See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
VM will respond re the red light soon - but whilst waiting you could try this

If you haven't done this already - try it first - it helps sort some Hub3/4/5 wifi issues for some devices.
Go into the Hub’s settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless signal >smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box or “Smart Wifi” box and save settings.  May be different pathways and wording on the 3 Hub types
Then, go to advanced>wireless signal>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just type over to change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - Billybob2 & Billybob5) Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices. Use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want each device to connect to… individually from the "available networks" list on each of your devices. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
All things being equal, 5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less congestion/interference (and is better for iDevice speeds than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and will be needed when the 5 GHz drops out of range and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App (or Airport Utility on iOS) to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.
See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @BigOvo69 thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised.

It looks like we'll need to get your Hub replaced due to the red light, so we'll need to schedule a technician visit to get this sorted for you.

Please expect a PM from me to arrive shortly to ask you to confirm some security questions, so kindly respondc when you can!

Many thanks

Tom_W

Thanks John.

Rick23
Joining in

Our Hub 3 has just developed the same problem - noticed today. Still seems to be connected, though perhaps more frequent drop outs in connections to other devices. It's in a well-ventilated position, not in direct sunlight. I've tried turning off and rebooting, but still showing the steady red light. It does feel quite warm to the touch towards the top of the unit, but it doesn't seem particularly clogged with dust. Can anyone from VM help, please? From similar posts it looks as though it needs replacing.

Hi there @Rick23, welcome to our forum and thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to see that you are having this issue on your hub having the red light. Thanks for doing the initial checks we would usually ask to do.

As you have done this already and the hub is the same, I will send you a PM to confirm your details so I can assist further.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Thanks Nathan_B for stepping in, and to the Forum Team for organising an engineer visit to replace the hub. All sorted now! 

If Customer Services had done this straight away when I contacted them, VM could have saved the cost of posting out a new power supply (which made no difference, as you can imagine).

Hi Rick, 

Thank you for returning to the thread to keep it updated! Really glad to hear that the hub has been replaced and the issues have now been resolved. Please let us know if there is anything outstanding you need our support with!

We appreciate your additional feedback and will pass this on internally. If you would like a formal record of it on your account we can raise this as a complaint - just let us know and we will happily help with this. 

If you prefer to raise one yourself directly you can do so here: https://virg.in/makacomp. 

All the best!

Molly

Hi,

I've been having the same issue (solid red light on the hub 3.0) for a couple of months now.

I've done all the usual checks and walked through with technical support (after several different calls on different days) to run diagnostics on the hub and my network (including pinhole reset) and they have put me on monitoring for the next 15 days as it is still showing a red light. I was told that the red light is ignorable and may be due to 5Ghz capacity issues (although we don't have many devices connected usually and there is still a red light even with no devices connected).

It doesn't feel like it's overheating but I'm not inspired with confidence by the conflicting messaging from VM with sources saying red light means overheating or device fault and phone support saying that I can ignore it.

Again 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @theemurr

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about this.

I'll drop you a private message now to collect some more details and investigate further, please keep an eye on your inbox for a message from myself.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs