cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 Router/Poweline Adapter

Nomad110
Tuning in

I have a Hub 3 router, when i make the connection to the TP link powerline adapter. The broadband signal stops. Unplugging the powerline adapter from the mains socket and the broadband signal comes back. The router is new. The engineer who installed it diagnosed the problem to the powerline adapter, i have replaced the powerline adapter with a new pair. They worked for a few weeks, but the problem has returned. Whenever i plug in the TP link into the power socket it kills the broadband signal. Help!

Brian

16 REPLIES 16

Client62
Legend

We have a Hub 3 it is working fine with four TP-Link Powerline  adaptors.

Most odd that an old and a new Powerline adaptor have the same issues.

When the issues with the Powerline adaptors started, did you try a new network cable ?

Could it be that a faulty network cable has caused the old and new Powerline adaptors to fail in a similar way ?

Done some more investigations.tp link AV1000. One adapter downstairs connected to back of router. One  adapter upstairs connected to my security camera system. I swopped the adapters around. With the uptstairs one plugged into the  router downstairs, and the  upstairs one not plugged in. The broadband test says all is well. I then plugged the upstairs adapter into the power socket, without the LAN cable connected. Did another speed test. All ok. Plugged the LAN cable into the camera system. Did a seed test, nothing. I think this says that one of the tp link units is faulty, i think?

Tried several LAN cables as well all with same result. As soon as you plug a cable into the router, it kills the speed test. Going to take them back to Argos for a swop. Thanks for your help with this matter.

I am going to pull your words apart to help me gain focus ... indulge me ...

1) ... plugged the upstairs adapter into the power socket, without the LAN cable connected. Did another speed test. All ok( Working excellent )

2) Plugged the LAN cable into the camera system. Did a speed test, nothing.  ( Failed at this step )

If in place of step 2) you get a known working network cable and plug in your laptop (in place of the camera) is there a working internet connection at the second Powerline adaptor ?

Ok. Will try that. If we consider the faulty unit. When i plug it into the power socket  near the router. Do a speed test all ok. Connect the cable from the adapter to the router and do a speed test nothing. If i get the adapter from upstairs. Plug it into the same power socket. No LAN cable  connected, speed test ok. Connect LAN cable to router, do speed test, all ok. Surly this says than one of the two tp link adapters is faulty, as both adapters are identical.

Test like this ...

Use only network cables that are known to work with the Hub and the laptop

VM Hub --- Powerline adaptor <--------------->   Powerline adaptor --- laptop 

Start with 2 Powerline adaptors close to each other for convenience of seeing what they are both doing.

Make 100% sure that they are paired - check the lights & if needed re-pair before proceeding.

Does the laptop work across the power line adaptors ?

If the faulty adapter kills the broadband when connected to the router, it does not matter what you do with the other adapter. There is no broadband! As you kill it as soon as you connect it.

Just plugging in 1 adapter kills the broadband. 

Short break for tea. I really appreciate your help on this.