cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 - Red Light - Very Hot

zaenapill
Tuning in

I have seen similar posts on the boards and have followed all instructions.

I have a solid red light on my hub, it's hot and I can smell a burning plastic smell.

It is in an airy space; I've reset; I've rebooted and turned off for 10 minutes.  Nothing works.

I called Virgin Media and explained everything is working fine - but I am worried about this issue.  I was told that as everything is working - this is not a faulty hub and that I should check that my sockets aren't overloaded.  It is difficult to sort this as I only have 2 sockets and have got rid of anything I don't use.  

I don't feel comfortable sitting here with a red light / hot hub / smell. I have had the hub since April 2018 so it's 4 years 8 months old - it's been plugged in the same socket for all that time without a previous issue, so surely this is an indication that something is wrong?

Has anyone else had these issues, followed the same advice and managed to get rid of the red light?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for confirming your details via private message @Zaena.

I have arranged the appointment, and you can track your engineer appointments online. Simply sign into My Virgin Media and you will see your appointments on your account dashboard. However, this can take up to 24 hours to be updated.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for.
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Kind Regards,
Steven_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
vm will be here soon - switch it off and unplug it when you go out or to bed

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey zaenapill,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your hub at the moment, I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for confirming your details via private message @Zaena.

I have arranged the appointment, and you can track your engineer appointments online. Simply sign into My Virgin Media and you will see your appointments on your account dashboard. However, this can take up to 24 hours to be updated.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for.
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Kind Regards,
Steven_L

Thank you for your help

Thank you for using the forums @zaenapill and we do hope this is resolved for you via the appointment, please do let us know how things go. 

Thanks again

Thanks for all the help.

The engineer came today and replaced the Hub so everything is now working safely again.

Hi @zaenapill thanks a lot for your reply, that's great news!
We appreciate you taking the time to let us know, if you need any further help please don't hesitate to us know.

Many thanks

Tom_W