cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 Randomly Rebooting Itself

sladep
On our wavelength

Hi,

My Hub 3 is randomly restarting itself, just happened twice in the last 10 minutes. This started happening about two weeks ago. No changes to the setup. The Hub is in Modem mode. It's not overheating as it is in the open and doesn't feel hot to touch. 

Can anyone advise, including VM support if you read these forums?

This is extremely irritating especially during during COVID times when we are working at home.

Thanks,

Paul.

47 REPLIES 47

sladep
On our wavelength

engineer visited today.

Cable tested ok with no issues.

He said a recent firmware update is causing the problems I'm seeing.

He also said that I have a lot of devices on 2.4Ghz that should be on 5Ghz so try and move them over to 5Ghz. 

I'm still no further forward as the current issue still persists.

Hi sladep,

I'm sorry you're still experiencing some issues with the connection.

I've located your account using your forum details, and we do seem to have identified a short term network issue that could cause degradation or an intermittent service.

We believe it will only be a short term issue and it will be fixed very soon, there's no current fix date set.

Alex_Rm

sladep
On our wavelength

Hi Alex_RM,

Thanks for the update.

This issue has been going on for around 2 weeks. Is that that length of time the network issue has been going on for?

Sadly it doesn't mention when it started. 

But I assure you we're working on fixing this as soon as possible 🙂

Alex_Rm

sladep
On our wavelength

Still no improvement after an engineer visit. 

Hub randomly/sporadically losing connection to the internet on a daily basis multiple times.

When/how will this be fixed as the service is unacceptable.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to us. 

I can see that you have raised this with our technical support team all ready today and they have arranged an engineer visit for you. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

sladep
On our wavelength

I've noticed that when using my Dell AIO PC the router disconnect problems happen. Can be once in an hour or 3 times in 15 minutes. When using any other device including Macbooks, iphones, ipads, Apple TV, Netflix or any other streaming service the router doesn't have this issue. The PC appears to cause this problem when using either wifi or wired connection. I've seen on other forums that a Dell utility called Smartbytes can cause network connectivity issues so have removed it. There appears to have been a Dell update applied at the end of May which might coincide with the start of these issues. It seems strange that a PC can cause a router disconnect but prepared to try anything at this stage to get a stable service. I've now changed the Hub from modem to router mode and also removed the Netgear switches I used to extend the wired capability. All devices are now connected into the 4 ports of the hub to strip it back to a "supported" mode and avoiding any other complications when speaking to VM support. Depending on who you speak to they say it can be either too many devices connected (currently I have 12 wired, most of these are Sonos devices on SonosNet, and 5 WiFi connections on both 2.4 and 5GHz. Other reasons are not enough bandwidth, I've recently upgraded from 100Mbps to 200Mbps. Internet usage is not heavy e.g. no gaming etc. They've also said too many devices on 2.4GHz, which is not the case. I have another engineer coming tomorrow but generally if they test the cable and if it displays results they expect they don't do anything else. A router swap out could be an option but I'm not convinced that will resolve the issue. It's possible that some kind of PC update has caused this problem but not sure how this would cause the router to disconnect from the VM network randomly and sporadically. When the service is running speeds are as expected over 200Mbps down/over 20Mbps up. Any one else had a similar issue with a PC update causing this kind of problem?

I guess it would depend on what the Dell is sending to the router packet wise and what they contain!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

sladep
On our wavelength

Agreed. I could have run a wireshark trace but don't have the time! Seems stable since last night so will continue to monitor it today.

sladep_0-1624346550906.png

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Sladep,

Thanks for your post 🙂
I am sorry to hear this, I can see there is an engineer booked for today, please keep us posted on how you get on

Zoie