cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 Randomly Rebooting Itself

sladep
On our wavelength

Hi,

My Hub 3 is randomly restarting itself, just happened twice in the last 10 minutes. This started happening about two weeks ago. No changes to the setup. The Hub is in Modem mode. It's not overheating as it is in the open and doesn't feel hot to touch. 

Can anyone advise, including VM support if you read these forums?

This is extremely irritating especially during during COVID times when we are working at home.

Thanks,

Paul.

47 REPLIES 47

*Could* be heat related - your levels look low but within spec - hot weather can cause a 3 dBmV attenuation apparently which could push your lower powered channels under -6!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

sladep
On our wavelength

Thanks for the reply godbodyj. Symptons look exactly the same. I've been in modem mode for a number of years using my own router. I'm hoping VM support will contact me and investigate.

sladep
On our wavelength

Thanks Lotharmat. I did suspect heat as a possible cause but this started a few weeks ago before the hot weather started. The Hub itself is well ventilated and in the open. It is not hot to touch. Unfortunately the colours indicating modem mode and overheating on the front of the hub are so close together (magenta/red) you can't tell the difference, or at least I can't! Not sure how heat affects VM equipment outside of the house e.g. street cabs etc but it doesn't appear to have gotten worse since the recent hot weather started.

It could be the Cab or the cabling!

sladep
On our wavelength

I'll need to speak to VM as it's just happened again. Same sequence, flashing white light, flashing green light, flashing up/down arrows, solid green light, solid green up/down arrows, solid magenta light. Internet connectivity back up again. Doesn't take long but the randomness of it means it's not possible to work effectively.

sladep
On our wavelength

Started BQM this morning.

sladep_0-1623663015418.png

sladep
On our wavelength

I rang up VM support and was told that they won't support me if I'm in modem mode as they will only help if I am in router mode. They said that all, or most, customers use the VM Hub in router mode which is not correct. I'm staggered that this is the response from VM support as I've used all my Hubs in modem mode and this only started a few weeks ago. If VM won't support customers in modem mode why do they give customers the option to change from router to modem mode. It's also obvious that routers supplied by companies such as VM, BT etc are not up to the same standard as 3rd party routers. Would a gamer stick with the VM supplied router or get their own!! Does anyone else think this is an expected or acceptable response from VM support in relation to this issue?

They need the Hub in router mode to be able to log in and check stats / run tests etc.

sladep
On our wavelength

Thanks lotharmat. That makes sense. I think he explained it badly and made it sound like using modem mode was not a supportable configuration. I'll make the change, continue to monitor and see how it goes and update here with the results.

sladep
On our wavelength

Started BQM this morning.

sladep_0-1623664912526.png