cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 Permanent orange light

miketu2012
Tuning in

I have recently had issues with a red light on my Hub 3 on two occasions which resolved themselves. I now have a permanent orange light. The hub feels quite warm, but not hot, to the touch. My Ethernet connection speed is good but the wifi speeds are slower than usual even close to the hub. Should my hub be replaced?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for passing security miketu2012.

The replacement Hub has been ordered for you.

I sent you a private message with the date and time.

Can you please let me know how you get on.

Gareth_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Red light on Hub3 may be overheating.

Orange light is just a sign of an ageing 1p LED as it fades from white>beige>yellow>orange.

It usually has no bearing on any issues you are having (unless it really is read and overheating)

As its just a wifi issue - see a recent post of mine on that in message 2 here..

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Persistent-green-lights/m-p/5250918#M528106

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @miketu2012 👋,

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

A red light on the hub is an overheating indicator. 

Please ensure the hub is always out in the open and in a well ventilated location. 

If you feel it is hot to touch, we'd recommend switching it off to allow it to cool down. 

There's no official status with the orange light as such. 

I have ran some checks on our systems for you and I can not see any issues at the time of writing. 

We have some tips here on how to get the best out of your wireless connections.

If I can help with anything else, let me know 😊

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Ayisha. Thanks for your reply. Since my post the hub light has turned pink and now back to orange 🤷. Although my Ethernet connection is good all the time I’m getting big variations in speed over Wi-Fi when I do speed tests. I turn off all my devices with the exception of my laptop which I use for the test. Upload speeds are always consistent. The download speed is well below my Ethernet speed and well below the speed my laptop is capable of. I live in a bungalow and am never more than 15 metres from my hub. When I use the laptop at my mothers house I get much better results from her hub 4. I can’t help feeling that there must be an issue with my hubs Wi-Fi. I recently received a Wi-Fi booster as part of my new package and this hasn’t improved my speeds. 

Mike

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello miketu2012.

Thanks for your reply.

Would you be happy for me to look at getting a new Hub sent out.

If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security and arrange this. 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Hi Gareth

Thanks for your message. I'm happy for you to look into a replacement hub for me. I have received your DM and replied.

Regards

Mike

Thanks for passing security miketu2012.

The replacement Hub has been ordered for you.

I sent you a private message with the date and time.

Can you please let me know how you get on.

Gareth_L

Thanks Gareth. I will update you with how I get on.

Mike

Hello,

I am currently having the same issue with my virgin hub 3 showing an orange light and having intermittent connection issues across all of my devices.

I have already been on the phone with virgin support who have said there is nothing wrong with the line and when running the diagnose tool on the router it is showing as a WiFi issue. There is no obvious issue like overheating and the hub is kept in a well ventilated area. While on the phone with virgin I have restarted the hub multiple times and pressed the reset button a couple times once for 10 seconds and then once for a minute after the previous attempt didn't work, neither of these have works and the issue is still the same with the orange light and connection issues.

Would you be able to send me out a replacement hub so I can get my internet working again.

Thanks.

Hi SueH73, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear you're having an issue with a permanent light on the hub. 

We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. They will check the hub and if a replacement is needed then they will do it on the visit. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs