cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 Modem - High Latency, Dropped Packets, Loss of Sync, T3 Timeouts

katspike
On our wavelength

I'm using my Hub 3 in Modem mode. It’s been working for several years with no noticeable issues… but for the last week, it started disconnecting around the same time every day. Running tests via the VM website do not reveal any errors. However, my network log shows warnings and critical errors and the Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) shows high latency and dropped packets.

Every day, the network log shows the following warnings and critical errors between 10 and 12noon, and then at around 4pm. My family uses Internet heavily in the evening, but not as much at midday when it fails. It seems to get worse after each attempt by VM customer service to fix it.

Network Log Summary:

“Critical   - SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync”

“Warning - RCS Partial Service

"Critical   - No Ranging Response received T3 timeout"

Plus a critical error from 1970 ?!

(See here for an explanation of these errors)

All internet connectivity is lost, and the hub tries to renegotiate channels, sometimes several times a day. The rest of the time, the network is good - even at night when there’s a lot of streaming and gaming activity.

I've read many posts with similar problems, but not many solutions, and everyone's setup is different. I need some help to identify the cause of my issue.  Really appreciate any advice you may have.

Here's a diagram of my setup showing all wired devices:

network.001.jpeg

My Setup: 

• HUB 3.0 (Modem Mode)
  • 350M Oomph Plan (broadband, landline, mobile)
  • Daytime use: 1-2 adults, W.F.H - video meetings, streaming podcasts, web development
  • Night-time use 2 adults, + 2 teens - a mix of video streaming and / or X-box or PS4
  • Router is configured as DHCP+NAT
  • Daisy-chain: Modem > Router > TP-Link 16 port Gigabit Switch > Cat 5e patch panel > Netgear Gigabit Switches > Airport Express bridge mode wireless networks
  • Cat5e / Cat6 ethernet throughout house
  • Problem occurs on both Wired and Wireless clients
  • Line was installed in 2017

Total Connected (not all used at once):

20  wired devices  (maximum 12 in concurrent use).
 10  wireless devices
 48  zigbee smart bulbs, sensors, switches and sockets (Hue)

Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM): 

Live Link

network.003.jpeg

Issue:

Some outages are very short, and the frequency of occurrence varies, but it usually fails and reboots itself between 10am and 11am - even though demand is low and not many devices are being used at that time.

Attempts to rectify: 

• VM have run several tests remotely and on-site
  • VM Engineer removed old Tivo splitter and replaced connections - he only considered the Hub - he did not visually inspected anything connected to it, including the coax cable that runs up the side of the house. I live right on the coast where salt-water corrosion is a major issue.
  • Confirmed all connections are tight
  • VM Engineer saw my BQM, but did not look at network logs
  • The modem and router are fan-cooled but temperature can still reach 30 deg C.
  • Power Off / On Modem for 5 mins 
  • Power off all devices several hours
  • Reset Modem
  • Disconnected all connected equipment and changed to Router mode
  • VM changed frequency and increased something (they weren’t specific)
  • Reduced the amount of devices connecting to the network - just 2 mobiles, 1 laptop and Apple TV - still failed
  • Increased cooling
  • Another engineer is booked

Possible Correlation:

The problem seemed to start around the same time that I added a PoE wireless outdoor AP (Access Point). But when I disconnected the AP it still failed, so I don’t think it’s the cause.

Around this time my neighbour also got Virgin Media installed, but VM say that is not related (I remain sceptical).

The large green junction cabinet on the street nearby has a door that keeps falling off. I have booked an engineer to fix via 0330 333 0444

43 REPLIES 43

katspike
On our wavelength

Yes thanks Adduxi, I did read that network log guide before I started this thread. Every day I experienced the two most serious errors mentioned in that guide, which is why I referenced it at the beginning of this thread.... but that guide doesn't specifically mention "post RS errors".  

Several people in this thread looked at my network logs and highlighted the high number of post RS errors. So, I'm just asking: does "RS" stand for "Re-Set"?  I'm guessing it does, because the number reverted to zero on most channels after I reset the new hub. 

I continue to experience a loss of sync most days, albeit not as frequently in the last week (since I moved the hub's new power supply away from the coax cable).  I've also switched the cooling fans back on and have reverted to switching the hub off every night between 2-5am.

Touch wood, it has been more stable 🤞🏽

virgin media loss of sync bqm.001.jpegvirgin media loss of sync bqm.002.jpeg
In my BQM summaries, I've labelled critical errors in orange, and attempted interventions have green labels.

Unfortunately, after all this analysis, I'm still not sure what caused the signal problems, or what has improved it. Perhaps Virgin also did some work on the line remotely??? 

Whatever... if no-one has any other ideas, I'll close this "ticket" now. Thanks for your time.

RS refers to Reed Solomon which is a group of error correcting algorithms developed by two mathematicians in the early 60s'

The idea is that in any data transmission, you can never be sure that what is received at the other end is intact and hasn't been corrupted in some way in transit. To fix it there are methods of adding extra information in to the data stream and the receiving side can use mathematical analysis to see firstly if the packet of data has been changed or corrupted and in many cases work out what it should have been.

Packets of data which cannot be corrected because they are too badly damaged have to be sent again and these are the Post RS errors ie errors that are still there after the RS algorithms have been applied.

katspike
On our wavelength

Thank you!

katspike
On our wavelength

My Broadband Ping - VM No Ranging Response

The problems detailed in this thread - that I was experiencing two months ago - have now returned. Almost every day, I lose the internet due to: "No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out". The modem, power supply and ethernet cable are two months old.

How often does a Hub 3.0 modem need to be reset? Every two months? 

katspike
On our wavelength

IMG_2452.jpegIMG_2451.jpeg

The engineers have changed everything else in my property but I'm still having problems. Their tests do not indicate any faults in the coax cable running across the roof (coastal property, highly corrosive environment).  They have run out of options and have no idea why I'm still having problems. Could it be the cable?

Hi @katspike 

Thanks for the reply!

What was advised on the latest engineer visit?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

katspike
On our wavelength

Hi Travis. Apologies for the delayed reply... but as I said, I can't always access the Internet.  

As detailed in previous posts:

"three engineers tested the cable in November, but their equipment did not indicate any faults in the coax cable, even though it is exposed for +- 15m as it runs up the side of the drainpipe and across the flat roof (coastal property, highly corrosive environment).  

They ran out of options and had no idea why I was still having problems.... then the problems stopped for a bit, but now they're back. So before I call out another engineer, I am asking if someone knows of cable that could pass the VM engineer test, but still have connectivity issues? Is it worth getting them to change the cable? How to convince them to do it?

Hi katspike,

Thanks for coming back to us. I think in the circumstances as you have already had 3 engineers attend, who could not find any issues, we would need to send an email to the area field manager on your behalf for further advice with this issue.

So, I can get this email sent off for you, I will pop you over a private message to take some details for you.

Please click on the purple envelope to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi. 

katspike
On our wavelength

Thanks Jodi

I sent you the PM

katspike
On our wavelength

This is a message for the Forum team. I sent my account details as requested a week ago. I've not received any acknowledgement of receipt and you are not responding to my private messages. Is anyone doing anything about my longstanding problem?