cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 Modem - High Latency, Dropped Packets, Loss of Sync, T3 Timeouts

katspike
On our wavelength

I'm using my Hub 3 in Modem mode. It’s been working for several years with no noticeable issues… but for the last week, it started disconnecting around the same time every day. Running tests via the VM website do not reveal any errors. However, my network log shows warnings and critical errors and the Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) shows high latency and dropped packets.

Every day, the network log shows the following warnings and critical errors between 10 and 12noon, and then at around 4pm. My family uses Internet heavily in the evening, but not as much at midday when it fails. It seems to get worse after each attempt by VM customer service to fix it.

Network Log Summary:

“Critical   - SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync”

“Warning - RCS Partial Service

"Critical   - No Ranging Response received T3 timeout"

Plus a critical error from 1970 ?!

(See here for an explanation of these errors)

All internet connectivity is lost, and the hub tries to renegotiate channels, sometimes several times a day. The rest of the time, the network is good - even at night when there’s a lot of streaming and gaming activity.

I've read many posts with similar problems, but not many solutions, and everyone's setup is different. I need some help to identify the cause of my issue.  Really appreciate any advice you may have.

Here's a diagram of my setup showing all wired devices:

network.001.jpeg

My Setup: 

• HUB 3.0 (Modem Mode)
  • 350M Oomph Plan (broadband, landline, mobile)
  • Daytime use: 1-2 adults, W.F.H - video meetings, streaming podcasts, web development
  • Night-time use 2 adults, + 2 teens - a mix of video streaming and / or X-box or PS4
  • Router is configured as DHCP+NAT
  • Daisy-chain: Modem > Router > TP-Link 16 port Gigabit Switch > Cat 5e patch panel > Netgear Gigabit Switches > Airport Express bridge mode wireless networks
  • Cat5e / Cat6 ethernet throughout house
  • Problem occurs on both Wired and Wireless clients
  • Line was installed in 2017

Total Connected (not all used at once):

20  wired devices  (maximum 12 in concurrent use).
 10  wireless devices
 48  zigbee smart bulbs, sensors, switches and sockets (Hue)

Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM): 

Live Link

network.003.jpeg

Issue:

Some outages are very short, and the frequency of occurrence varies, but it usually fails and reboots itself between 10am and 11am - even though demand is low and not many devices are being used at that time.

Attempts to rectify: 

• VM have run several tests remotely and on-site
  • VM Engineer removed old Tivo splitter and replaced connections - he only considered the Hub - he did not visually inspected anything connected to it, including the coax cable that runs up the side of the house. I live right on the coast where salt-water corrosion is a major issue.
  • Confirmed all connections are tight
  • VM Engineer saw my BQM, but did not look at network logs
  • The modem and router are fan-cooled but temperature can still reach 30 deg C.
  • Power Off / On Modem for 5 mins 
  • Power off all devices several hours
  • Reset Modem
  • Disconnected all connected equipment and changed to Router mode
  • VM changed frequency and increased something (they weren’t specific)
  • Reduced the amount of devices connecting to the network - just 2 mobiles, 1 laptop and Apple TV - still failed
  • Increased cooling
  • Another engineer is booked

Possible Correlation:

The problem seemed to start around the same time that I added a PoE wireless outdoor AP (Access Point). But when I disconnected the AP it still failed, so I don’t think it’s the cause.

Around this time my neighbour also got Virgin Media installed, but VM say that is not related (I remain sceptical).

The large green junction cabinet on the street nearby has a door that keeps falling off. I have booked an engineer to fix via 0330 333 0444

43 REPLIES 43

You have a line issue as denoted by the Post-RS errors

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

katspike
On our wavelength

Thanks for your reply Beth_G.

I find it perplexing that over the last twelve days I've carried out line status checks in numerous ways, reported damage to the nearby cabinet, and had engineer visits... but today is the first acknowledgment of "obvious signal issues".  

The latest engineer has replaced the modem, moved my "T-bar" (?) in the cabinet and booked someone else from the "cabinet department" to inspect it further. So fingers crossed, it will hopefully be OK now. Is there any way of knowing when the cabinet will be inspected?

@gary_dexter wrote:
You have a line issue as denoted by the Post-RS errors

I don't understand how Virgin Tech support works. 13 days ago I checked the service status via the website, app and phone service. I also phoned VM and an engineer visited the property. At no point did they acknowledge any issue with the line. Is it possible for VM customer service representatives to see my network log? Do engineers who visit look at the logs? ... or do I need to post logs here in order to make VM aware?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Gary is right you have a connection issue. call it in or wait here for a day or two and a VM person will take a look at it - in the meantime can you start from a blank sheet and do this.

Switch the Hub off and unplug it from the mains supply for five minutes. Whilst it's off, do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box (no “staples, etc.,) piercing the cables.. Then switch the Hub back on and leave ~5 minutes

When all done, check back in the settings and ensure that the RS error counts and T3 errors have all reset to 0. Then check every hour or so to see if they start reappearing - they shouldn't. If they do (particularly the postRS ones and T3's ) you have a problem (noise) that only a Tech visit will sort.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jbrennand wrote:
Gary is right you have a connection issue. call it in or wait here for a day or two and a VM person will take a look at it -<snip>

John, the VM mods have already responded to the OP’s original post and an engineer has been booked.  I did advise the OP not to be double posting as it only confuses everyone. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Adduxi wrote:

@jbrennand wrote:
Gary is right you have a connection issue. call it in or wait here for a day or two and a VM person will take a look at it -<snip>

John, the VM mods have already responded to the OP’s original post and an engineer has been booked.  I did advise the OP not to be double posting as it only confuses everyone. 

OK cheers - I just thought it would have been merged into one thread but never looked to check 😎

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

katspike
On our wavelength

Update:

Following on from my update yesterday I can confirm that despite three booked engineer visits, the problem is re-occurring at around the same time of day.  

Yesterday, the engineer confirmed there appears to be a fault in the street cabinet - which I previously reported via VM Customer Service and the automated phone service - so please can someone come and sort it out.

day 14.jpg

katspike
On our wavelength

I have reported the cabinet fault to the automated phone line again (3rd time), but the system does not recognise my Virgin Mobile Number, so I cannot get a txt update. How can I get confirmation that it is in fact scheduled? ... and does anyone know how to get the automated system to accept a mobile phone number? I've tried 079xxx, +4479xx and 4479xx.

My Broadband Ping - VM No Ranging Response

Hi katspike,

Thanks for posting, and sorry to see you've had some connection issues.

If you've already booked a technician visit, this should show via your online account here

Let me know if nothing is showing and I can pop you over a private message and have a look from here.

Alex_Rm

katspike
On our wavelength

Thanks Alex

Yes I've booked another technician for the fourth time... he is due tomorrow. HOWEVER, the previous engineer confirmed my report about the fault on the line at the street cabinet, so I'm trying to get the message to Virgin that they need to send someone capable of dealing with a signal issue at the cabinet - which is particularly bad between 8am and noon. 

My Broadband Ping