cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 MAC Address Filtering

meld51
On our wavelength

Is there somewhere that explains MAC filtering in the Hub 3?

There appears to be two places in the settings:

First Place: 

Advanced/Wireless Security/Wireless MAC filtering

Second Place:

Advanced/Security/MAC Filtering

Also is there only one filter list that for the main and the guest networks? 

Is there somewhere that explains this functionality, (or can someone explain it to me

7 REPLIES 7

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mac-filtering

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Thanks but this doesn't help. It doesn't explain the other MAC address page, and in fact the text at teh bottom of this page appears to contradict reality.

I have MAC filtering "always on" on this page but no devices in the filter list. If it were to operate as I read it, nothing would be allowed to connect, yet everything does connect...so what's really happening here.

As for the "other" page:

Advanced/Wireless/Security/Mac Filtering,

I have that set to "Allow", with devices in the "connected " list and some of them in the MAC list. All of them are still connected to my network, so what's going on here? A Manual would help. There are no help screens in the Hub 3 it seems...unlike the Hub 2.

Hi meld51, 

Sorry to hear that you have been having issues with MAC filtering, I can see that you have made a similar post, was the manual able to help? Unfortunately we do not have any other documents besides what was offered by @gary_dexter

Cheers,

Corey C

meld51
On our wavelength

Thanks,

Yes the manual helped even though it's for a cousin of the Hub 3. It says that in one page you can set MAC addresses to be either a white list or a black list whereas the other page is more for setting times to disallow, mainly for parental control.

However, it doesn't explain why devices not on my white list can still connect. This feature worked well on the Hub 2 but I'm still not sure that it works on the Hub 3. 

I'm not finished yet so I'll let you know my findings.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @meld51,

Thank you for getting back to us.

Good to hear that the manual helped! Please keep us updated on your findings and let us know if there's anything else we can do to advise further.

Thanks,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

DimwitFlathead
Joining in

I wouldn't bother with MAC filtering.
It adds virtually no protection, and is a right nuisance if you ever erect a temporary guest WiFi.

See this article [howtogeek.com]

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

MAC filtering is useless, you can just change the MAC address of the device to get around the filtering.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2