cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 Internet Keeps Dropping Connection

clairemac35
Tuning in

Hi there

We upgraded to virgin internet a couple of months ago and have a Hub 3 box. It worked ok for a short time but then constantly dropped out. We assumed it was due to the wifi signal and so we upgraded to a Google Mesh system but have the same problem with drop out.

I have now gone back and reset the virgin hub to check again that it is a problem with this and not the Google Mesh.  Again the same problem with drop out so at least I know it is a Virgin problem and not the google problem. I thought it might be when you were further away from the hub but it is the same even if you are right next to it.

From reading a few other forums i have disabled Channel Optimisation but still we have the same problem.

Any help would be hugely appreciated as it is incredibly frustrating! When it works it is great but we can't just have constant drop outs!

Thank you in advance

31 REPLIES 31

Hi,

I have been having the same problem for months. It started sometime around Christmas. At first, it wasn't too bad but it is getting stupid now. Just before lockdown, I spent a good couple of hours trying to get help from Virgin. Eventually, I got through to a technician who was based in India by the sound of it. Not a problem except I have poor hearing and find accents incredibly difficult to understand. Long story short, he told me that the software on my Hub 3 was corrupt and I'd need a replacement. I duly received the said replacement and installed it. Taking time to check all of the other connections. 

Much to my frustration, and within an hour the same problem was happening. I've been unable to bear the hours of arguing with one person on the phone following a script after another until eventually you get put through to someone in another country. So I have lived with the drop outs.

However, this last couple of weeks it has got a lot worse. I am working from home for the foreseeable due to the COVID situation and my work laptop, which I can only connect via WiFi, runs an encrypted layer over the WiFi. If the drop out is less than about 15 seconds then it can recover and can carry on as normal. Lately, it has been dropping out for longer than this and as a result, the encryption layer hangs. The only way to resolve this is to shut down and restart my work laptop. This isn't great when you're on work conference calls and it does it 4 times in one hour or when you're in the middle of an email or document and have to save it locally until you can reboot again.

The fact that I am not the only person who has been experiencing these issues would suggest there is an underlying problem with either the HUB 3 or Virgins network as a whole. They need to do something as quite frankly I am at the point of switching service providers. I would rather live with a slower speed connection that is stable than put up with this.

@Cheffer1 wrote:

Hi,

I have been having the same problem for months. It started sometime around Christmas. ,,, snip ...

If you want assistance you need to start your own thread.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Hi did you ever get this problem sorted as my wifi keeps dropping off and the light is white. I have had engineers looking at this but problem keeps happening. 

Cheers

Hi,

No I still have this problem. You phone virgin and you just end up going around in circles. I just live with it for now. 

Chris 

Same issue happening with me. I have a hub 3, 200mb connection... I actually moved from Sky broadband expecting that Virgin would be quicker and more reliable.... At this point I'm thinking this may have been a mistake. Not only the connection drops when I'm working from home but also when we're trying to watch Netflix / Amazon prime, the connection just goes down for a few seconds then we're able to connect again (the lights on the hub 3 don't change!).

This is extremely disappointing... 

@Jopenoga wrote:

Same issue happening with me. I have a hub 3, 200mb connection... I actually moved from Sky broadband expecting that Virgin would be quicker and more reliable.... At this point I'm thinking this may have been a mistake. Not only the connection drops when I'm working from home but also when we're trying to watch Netflix / Amazon prime, the connection just goes down for a few seconds then we're able to connect again (the lights on the hub 3 don't change!).

This is extremely disappointing... 

Please start your own thread 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Well, I finally resolved this but not the way that I'd have liked. 

My solution, buy myself a TP-Link dual band WiFi router for £30 and use one of the wired outputs from the Hub 3 and the critical part, turn off the Hub 3 WiFi!

I now have better coverage that doesn't drop out every 30 minutes.

Virgin should be ashamed of the rubbish hub 3s.

@Cheffer1 wrote:

Well, I finally resolved this but not the way that I'd have liked. 

My solution, buy myself a TP-Link dual band WiFi router for £30 and use one of the wired outputs from the Hub 3 and the critical part, turn off the Hub 3 WiFi!

I now have better coverage that doesn't drop out every 30 minutes.

Virgin should be ashamed of the rubbish hub 3s.

Everyone should be doing that anyway, issues or no issues. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

dtdukes86
Joining in

same problem but using wired connections !!!

@dtdukes86 wrote:

same problem but using wired connections !!!

So not the same problem then.

Please start your own thread for assitance.