Menu
badgerbeast
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 Intermittent Connection

Evening all. 

Have been a VM customer for over 18 months and have no major issues with VM broadband or service, however have been trying without much success to try and resolve intermittent drop outs in connection which seems to only affect certain devices. 

I have a VM Hub 3.0 and this is connected at the front of the house where the cable comes in, therefore not helpful for sending Wifi signal around the rest of the house. I quickly determined that through many forums and communities the Hub 3.0 is not a great Wireless router. I installed TP Link ethernet over power connections to get internet to main devices, such as TV, desktop pc etc.

However wifi remained an issue, with devices showing full bars on wifi, however drop outs of anything from 1 up to 30 seconds and sometimes just great latency in loading pages or playing games. 

I purchase BT Whole Home Wifi discs to try and obtain a better coverage around the home, 3 discs initially. These seemed to work initially however the drop outs remain on the BT Wifi Disc network. 

Purchased a new ASUS router and switched VM Hub to Modem only mode. This router wifi signal was strong and seemed to be consistent, however i ran into an issue with it locking up and therefore have returned this router as it seemed to have its own issues. 

I am now back on the VM Hub 3 and BT Discs and the drop out problem remains and is becoming a very annoying part of my lockdown life. I have turned the VM wife channels off to remove any noise or distortion. I have downloaded a wifi analyzer app and see that the BT Wifi channel is on its own with little other networks around it. 

I have started a broadband quality audit on thinkbroadband and need to wait for results. 

Does anyone have any other ideas as any assistance is welcome. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 Intermittent Connection

Have you read through this thread on BT discs?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-3-0-and-BT-Premium-Whole-Home-WiFi/td-p...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
badgerbeast
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 Intermittent Connection

John, 

Thanks for that. It seems from that thread that people have identified an issue in compatibility between the BT discs and the Hub 3.0 where an update in firmware was released for the hub 3.0, however they closed the thread saying a nationwide firmware update was to resolve this. Obviously could still be an issue then. 

Others state they have turned Hub3.0 into modem mode and put in a cheap router between the hub and bt discs, which seems to resolve the issue. This may be my next step to see if this resolves the issue. Thanks for pointing me in this direction. 

0 Kudos