very_452001
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 Help

Hi,

Looking at my router network log today I see the following:

- A lot of Critical/Warning/Error Logs.

- Newest Log now is SW Download INIT - Via Config file followed by SW download Successful - Via Config file

Was a new firmware released today or recently?

Recently past few days I had dodgy wifi issues where sometimes wifi didn't work intermittently and now netgear powerline adapters don't work.

Router is nearly 2 years old so how do I do a 100% diagnostic check on my router to see if my router is working 100% or check if there's firmware software corruption or anything like that on my router?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
very_452001
Tuning in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 Help

Also how do I check for IP addresses Conflict in the router and fix if there is a conflict with devices in my home?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Tom_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi very_452001,

I am sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with the WiFi. You can run a diagnostic check through our service page that may identify some issues, https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status?buspart=uk_soc_b_na_selfcare_service however it won't be able to diagnose if there are any firmware errors.

The best way to ensure as few issues as possible with firmware corruption would be to pinhole reset the device. https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-reset-your-hub

We also have the Connect App which can run some diagnostics on the hub 3 as well as check the WiFi. https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/virgin-media-connect-app.html

For IP conflicts most modern devices will provide an error message to advise of the conflict, what devices do you believe are experiencing this issue? A reset of the hub would likely also resolve any potential conflicts as well.

Thanks,

Tom_S

0 Kudos
very_452001
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Yes the device im having problem with is a samsung s7 edge mobile phone. This phone wifi was working fine on the Hub 3 Router for well over a year until this problem mentioned above. 

The problem with the phone is the wifi icon on screen has a exclamation mark next to it so wifi doesn't work and my 4G data takes over from there. This problem frequently happens sometimes not all the time. 

Please help as I don't want to reset and lose my router settings. Is there another way without resetting router where I can login into router and make sure my phone connects to wifi all the time by going into router settings and changing something there?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Tom_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update very_452001,

Have you tried changing the SSIDs for two WiFi networks on the hub to see whether the issues occur on one signal in particular? Have you been able to check whether the connection issues occur within certain areas of the house or at certain distances from your hub? Have you been able to ensure your phone is running on the latest software update?

As far as I am aware this is a connectivity issue for Samsung phones with WiFi networks, however it seems to be a subjective issue that affects some people but not others.

Some people have found that resetting the network settings on the handset and reconnecting to the WiFi resolves the issue.

Thanks,

Tom_S

0 Kudos
very_452001
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I usually on the main SSID not the guest one.

The question is I had my Samsung S7 phone well over a year with no connection problems with my HUB 3 router until now so why am I getting this problem now?

Update: I took my phone to my relatives house wifi who is also on Virgin media but no connection problems there just at my house. Why is that?

This indicates there's nothing wrong with my phone correct?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Very_452001, 

we understand that there are a few customers with the Hub 3.0, who have experienced issues with their connection on devices running Android 8.0.

Our team have investigated this matter and it appears this is due to the latest firmware failing to download onto their equipment. 

In order to resolve the issue, please carry out a reboot of your Hub 3.0; this should force the latest update through. 

It may take a few minutes for your hub to download the update on start up, however this should resolve the issue moving forward. 

Please note: if there are any on going outages in the area, the Firmware will fail to download, so please wait for the issue to be resolved before carrying out the reboot. You can check for any outages in the area here.

Thanks

Lucy_B

Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
very_452001
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

When you say reboot do you mean simply just restarting the router or factory reset and what's the best way to reboot it?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Have you had a look at the 22 pages of comments on this issue by other Samsung s7 users?
Interesting read.
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Wifi-connection-on-samsung-s7/td-p/3943474

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
very_452001
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi like to know after 23 pages on that thread what's the best solution to this problem?

0 Kudos