Menu
Ian2018
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 - 5GHz Primary network disabled

I have just installed a V6 box with a Hub 3.0 and am trying the configure the router.

I have configured and enabled both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals by giving them different SSIDs and passwords however, when I ask the network diagnostic too, on the Hub, it displays the following:

Diagnostic Results...
Wireless primary network is Enabled on 2.4GHz.
Internet connection is good.
Telephone line 2 is disabled
Telephone line 1 is disabled
Wireless guest network is Disabled on 2.4GHz.
Wireless guest network is Disabled on 5GHz.
Wireless primary network is Disabled on 5GHz.

Why is the 5GHz primary network disabled when it has been configured?

When I use my IPad to connect to the Hub, it can only see the 2.4GHz SSID. My laptop can also only see the 2.4GHz SSID. I didn't have these problems with my Hub 2.

Can anyone tell me if this is the norm and that I shouldn't be wasting my time searching for a solution?

Before anyone asks, yes, I have switched it off, waited for about 5 minutes and switched it back on again.

SotonBob
Just joined
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 - 5GHz Primary network disabled

I have the same issue. I enabled the Guest network, and can connect 5G to that - but why not to the primary network ?
0 Kudos
SotonBob
Just joined
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

NOTE : If I "disable" 5G and "Apply Changes", it saves. If I then "Enable" 5G and "Apply Changes", an Alert pops up "Internal Errror".
0 Kudos
vircom
Super solver
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Provided you are following any rules about naming SSIDs I don't know of any but if you try something simple like ABC5G it should work.

Sounds like the hub has got screwed up. If power down and back on after a couple of minutes does not do the trick, try a factory reset. You will no doubt have a delay while it then updates the firmware again and will need to redo your config changes (after first checking that the 5G works with default settings. If that fails you would need to report the hub as faulty.
Ian2018
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help vircom.

First I tried the reset button on the back of the Hub but that didn't help.

Next I used the Hub menu system to restore the Hub back to the factory defaults and then I selected the reboot option. After the reboot, I named the two wireless networks 2G and 5G and hey presto, I could see both the SSIDs. I have since changed the SSIDs and passwords to the settings I wanted and everything is working as expected.

I should have guessed that turning it on and off was not the answer and that I needed to wipe the device. The Network Diagnostic Tool now reports the following:

Diagnostic Results...
Wireless primary network is Enabled on 5GHz.
Wireless primary network is Enabled on 2.4GHz.
Internet connection is good.
Telephone line 1 is disabled
Telephone line 2 is disabled
Wireless guest network is Disabled on 5GHz.
Wireless guest network is Disabled on 2.4GHz.

Once again, thanks for your help.

vircom
Super solver
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Good to hear it's all sorted. Thanks for letting us know.
0 Kudos
MihaiSly
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, this one works! All good now.

0 Kudos
kencheung888
Just joined
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ian and vircom - I'm new to VM and had exactly the same problem with 5GHz primary network disabled by default; followed your suggestion to factory reset then reboot the hub, now all working! BTW I kept the same SSID for both 2GHz/ 5GHz and my devices are able to switch between the two automatically.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Quick tip which might help somebody to avoid a complete factory reset

Make sure that in the general Wireless Radio settings the 5GHz radio is enabled, otherwise the 5GHz Primary Wireless Network settings will all be greyed out.

0 Kudos