cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 won't work in Modem Mode

Boogerman1
On our wavelength

HI all,

Have been using Hub 3.0 in modem only mode for quite a while.  D-link router plugged in.

A couple of weeks ago internet access stopped working.  Resetting into router mode works ok.

But when I change to Modem mode, power off and then plug in a laptop via ethernet, I can't get internet access.  Likewise if the D-link router is plugged into the Hub.  

The IP address configured on the laptop when plugged in via ethernet cable was 169.254.118.82.  

Any ideas anyone?

7 REPLIES 7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Slim possibility your WAM IP address has changed, so the CMTS does not recognise the MAC address of your router. Try setting it up from scratch, instructions below. If then does not work you will have to call in a fault.

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note: this only needs doing once for each new router or VM changes your WAN IP address.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Boogerman1 wrote:

The IP address configured on the laptop when plugged in via ethernet cable was 169.254.118.82.  

Yup that the stupid unless APIPA

With hub in modem mode power off for 2mins and connect the laptop unplug replug the ethernet cable till you get internet when you do connect laptop to your router login find MAC clone option to copy your MAC to router then connect router to hub.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Boogerman1
On our wavelength

Hi Tudor

thanks for the instructions....apologies if a stupid question but at step 3), how do I ensure that the WAN port on the router is set to DHCP prior to being able to access it over the network?  Is there a way of connecting to it via ethernet cable to configure it prior to connecting to the Hub?

Boogerman1
On our wavelength

Hi Tudor

thanks for the instructions....apologies if a stupid question but at step 3), how do I ensure that the WAN port on the router is set to DHCP prior to being able to access it over the network?  Is there a way of connecting to it via ethernet cable to configure it prior to connecting to the Hub?

cheers

Andy

Hi there, thanks for the tips.. sounds like a potential solution, but surely I shouldn't have to clone MAC addresses to get this to work?

@Boogerman1 wrote:
Hi there, thanks for the tips.. sounds like a potential solution, but surely I shouldn't have to clone MAC addresses to get this to work?

If you get it to work on a laptop it helps and it means that MAC works so if your router set to that MAC it should just work

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The best way to configure your own router is by an Ethernet cable. 
Personally doing a clone of a MAC address breaks the integrity of the system. I have never ever had to use this fudge in many years I have been involved with networking. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2