cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 wifi working, ethernet not working

JamesBarnaby1
Tuning in

Before we go any further, I have over 30 years experience in the IT industry and a degree in computer science so please be as technical as possible and listen to what I'm saying.

Several months ago the ethernet ports on our hub 3.0 stopped working. I tried everything suggested, full reset, loopback, different cables etc. No luck so contacted customer support who booked an engineer. 

Later that day my ports magically started working again, so I contacted customer support who said it had been a server issue and they cancelled the engineer.

Today they've stopped working again, and I've tried all the "fixes" again.

Questions:

1. Do the ethernet ports route to a different DHCP server than the WiFi connections.

2. If the answer to 1. is no then is it likely to be an intermittent hardware fault.

Cheers

James M34 3QZ

5 REPLIES 5

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi JamesBarnaby1, 

Thank you for reaching back out to us here on the Community. 

I am sorry to hear the ports have stopped working again, is this still the case today or have you seen any improvements?

DHCP grab the IP address but also assign a specific one locally. You will have your main IP address and then a local (192.168.0.1/192.168.0.2) for each device on both ethernet and WiFi.

Thanks 

Nat

Thanks for your reply, but respectfully what I'd like is for a VM infrastructure engineer to answer my specific questions, as there seems to be no way of contacting them directly. Unless you know a way? 

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for coming back to us @JamesBarnaby1, unfortunately, we cannot arrange for an infrastructure engineer to contact or you give you any contact details for the engineering team.

Regards,

Steven_L 

Given how many people are reporting this issue, and the fact that it seems transient I'd have thought Virgin would actually like to address it 

Everyone is just being told to do a reset, or check cables or other such nonsense. No-one has even attempted to answer my question regarding what happens if an engineer comes out to look at a hub that now appears to be working again. 

I looked at getting an update to either a hub 4 or 5 but it says, you already have a hub. We spend a fortune every year with Virgin and get treated very badly.

I'm not sure the point of this forum if it can't actually provide an avenue into getting the correct answers. 

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi JamesBarnaby1,

Thank you for your post and I am sorry to hear this, I can see you have another thread on this issue and we ask you to keep to one thread. 

I can also see you are getting some assistance on there.

Zoie