Menu
jamiedow
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 very unreliable

Hi, I'm finding our Hub 3.0 very unreliable. Rebooting it sometimes solves it, sometimes doesn't. The green wifi light on the front is quite frequently flashing, not always. But when it works properly, it doesn't seem to stay that way for long.

It's pretty poor performance against its core purpose, really. I'm quite surprised. It used to work very well.

All help much appreciated. Thanks.

Jamie

0 Kudos
xxalanxx
Dialled in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 very unreliable

After grappling with the Hub 3 for a while I found there are 2 solutions possible solutions:

1. Add your own router and put the Hub in Modem mode. I found this to be problematic when the Hub crashes - Virginmedia get very awkward supporting your network when they don’t own the router. You still get internet disconnects and network problems - just not as often.

2. Run a short cable from one port to a network switch - preferable cat 7 - and wire everything to it as much as possible. If you need WiFi then add a WiFi extender that is wired to your network via powerline - get a powerline with a built in socket and plug the extender into it and wire it to the powerline. Its the most stable network I’ve had - the philosophy is avoid using the Hub ports and WiFi!

0 Kudos
jamiedow
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I get that. But it seems to involve giving up on VM for the supply of a key part of the product we're paying for. No? 

0 Kudos
xxalanxx
Dialled in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Indeed.

I’ve had replacement Hub 3s, various engineer visits adding and taking away widgets, a new wire pulled across the garden etc etc even when using my own router.

Feel free to plough on trying to get a stable network and reliable WiFi from the Hub 3 and I hope you’re not disappointed.

If you want an easier route I’d buy a netgear switch and a WiFi booster - worked for me.

jamiedow
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, mate. Much appreciated.
Do VM people read these forums and offer help?
This kind of reputation can't do them any good, I'd have thought.
0 Kudos
xxalanxx
Dialled in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes they do. You usually have to wait about a week then they may post an offer of help. I found it quicker to use their online chat. They can check all is well at their end (!) and usually offer an engineer visit. Don’t rely on their automated check as it usually says all is well enven if you have no Internet! In my experience the Hub 3 is still an unstable, underpowered router that is unreliable if you have more than half a dozen things attached to it.

0 Kudos
Moderator (Retired) Ralph_R
Moderator (Retired)
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for getting in touch and apologies for any connection problems.

Could you please tell us what exactly is happening, is the connection dropping out or slow for example and is this happening on wired and/or wireless?

I've run a few checks on your Hub from this end and looks to be in good shape, so any additional insight you can provide would be helpful.

Kind rgds

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No BB provider guarantees a wifi connection as it is subject to so many vagaries - house construction, blocking objects, interfering appliances, interfering neighbours' networks, Apple iOS updates etc. (see the 2 pink sticky posts at the top of the forum for improving wifi signal). If the connection by ethernet cable is fine - that is all VM can see/test and will say "it's fine - you have a local wifi problem” - which, of course, may or may not be the case. But having your own wifi router at least puts you in total control of your own wifi environment and you never need to trouble VM CS over that aspect again !

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jamiedow
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Sorry for the delay. I was away for a while.

The usual thing is that we get the green Wifi light on the hub flashing, and our devices (laptops, android phones) may or may not succeed in connecting to the network, and then may or may not thereby have internet access. The common thread is the flashing green light on the hub - it clearly knows, at such times, that something is amiss (although I observe that there are also times when the green wifi light flashes, and we seem to be able to connect to the internet via the wifi network).

We've just had a BB outage in our area, and at this exact moment, it all seems to be working perfectly. It's just I've lost confidence in its reliability because it seems so often to have some problem or another, mostly wifi-related (I plug my laptop in by ethernet cable, and *mostly* that is trouble-free).

Thanks, Jamie

0 Kudos
Moderator (Retired) Ty_S
Moderator (Retired)
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi jamiedow

Thanks for updating us with that information. Everything looks ok when checking your hub again but if these issues start up please let us know.

Thanks 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos