Menu
Highlighted
Hairyhaw
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 - sudden poor range in house

Hello all,

been with virgin for three years and had the same hub the whole time. 

End of last week it decided it only liked putting out a WiFi signal in the room it resides in - can’t get a signal anywhere else in the house now and my wife’s laptop will no longer connect to it even in the same room - what gives?!

Any if you lovely folk had the same problem and found a solution? 

0 Kudos
Hairyhaw
Joining in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 - sudden poor range in house

Should add that i’ve done the usual testing network connection and switching off/on stuff - none of that makes a difference. 😐

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 - sudden poor range in house

Any of this of relevance for you?

If that draws a blank then chances are the Hub 3 is on the blink and you'll need to report it faulty.  But before you do that, you might want to do a pinhole reset of the device, following jbrennand's "belt & braces" approach of leaving the Hub switched on, pressing the pinhole button for a full minute, and then letting it boot up and go online without any further intervention by the user. 

That'll wipe all your custom settings and you'd need to reconnect using the details on the bottom of the hub (noting the different passwords for the hub administrator and the wifi network), so if it fixes the wifi problem, then you'd need to do the usual stuff of setting your own password, renaming the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks with unique names so your own devices don't get confused by the default setting where the two different networks have the same name, turning off the guest wifi if you don't use it, and increasing the channel width of the 5 GHz signal (but don't touch channel width on 2.4).  And on a similar theme, log in to My Virgin Media, and close down the use of your hub as a wifi hotspot for the masses - of itself it doesn't use your bandwidth, but the reason for turning it off is that nobody else is probably near enough to use it, and its another task that the weedy and underpowered Hub 3 has to do.

0 Kudos