Menu
mkaminski100
Joining in
Message 11 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0, slow internet, keeps disconnecting devices and looses internet access

I have connected an old router directly to the hub and although speeds are limited to only 50mbps it's very stable and the signal is much better than VM's hub.

Websites load much faster, no more waiting time of 5-10 seconds, devices being kicked out or "No internet" error message. 

Thank you very much for inviting me to the chat. Your technician promised to call me back today to check the router again. I will wait for him and let you know.

Last question. What would be the best aftermarket router to use with the hub for a 3 storey house (installed centrally), for a 350mbps internet, mainly with video streaming, very little gaming. 

Signal strength, speed and security should be adequate, but as mentioned most devices will not be very far awa.

0 Kudos
mkaminski100
Joining in
Message 12 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0, slow internet, keeps disconnecting devices and looses internet access

Engineer inspected my network and installed a filter on the incoming connector.

This didn't improve the internet so I received a replacement router.

This helped a bit, but after a while I am forced to use mobile internet at home because internet is so intermittent.

Every couple of days internet almost stops. I am connected to the router but no information is r received and internet freezes. After few minutes I will be reaching speeds of 250 Mbps but only for a while.

After many years with VM I am fed up with this and don't want to spend more of my time.

I will not be going through "have you disconnected your device" and I don't want to wait for technicians that only have a mobile phone to test internet speed.

I can install and run a software to monitor internet over the next few weeks, but please organise for sometime competent to inspect your network and the router and contact me directly.

I have a recording of how bad the internet is which I can post here.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 13 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi mkaminski100,

I do apologise for any ongoing difficulties you're having with your broadband service.

I've had a look at the backend of your services, as well as your section of the network, and have been unable to identify any problems which could be causing an intermittent connection.

Could you please confirm whether this also affects wired connections, or is it just wifi devices? Could you also confirm which hub you have and what the lights on the front are doing? Does this change when you lose connection?

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
mkaminski100
Joining in
Message 14 of 18
Flag for a moderator

As stated earlier, this is only wireless connection and only when using hub. 3rd party router works like a charm.

This is the second hub 3 I have received and although it's better than the previous it's still causing issues with WiFi.

Light on the hub is and stays white.

It looks like it's either the "smart" network that can't handle handle change of location, or some kind of interference but why in two opposite locations in my house?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 15 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi mkaminski100,

Thank you for getting back to me and clarifying. I appreciate that you had been describing certain issues with the wifi service, but couldn't see anywhere that you've confirmed the performance status of a wired connection. Have you been able to test the speed or quality of an ethernet connection?

As you have advised that you're able to receive expected speeds via a 3rd party router, it would suggest that the service entering your property is performing as expected. This is also supported by the lights reporting normal operation.

In this case, it's likely that the issue is caused by some kind of interference within your home which is affecting the hub's ability to produce a wireless signal. Have you tried our tips for improving the wireless connection around your property? I know they may seem a little basic but it really can make a lot of difference, there are a lot of factors which can interfere with wifi. You've said that your hub is on the TV stand, which makes me wonder whether your other electronic devices are disrupting the service.

It does look like there may be a couple of devices too close to the hub which are causing interference, as well as minor congestion on your 2.4GHz band. Are there any devices which could be connected via ethernet instead to reduce queuing, or moved further away from the hub? Smart devices like Amazon Echo or Google Home are often key culprits, as well as other electronics or internet enabled gadgets.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 16 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@mkaminski100 wrote:

As stated earlier, this is only wireless connection and only when using hub. 3rd party router works like a charm.

So get another wireless router and put the hub in modem mode.

0 Kudos
mkaminski100
Joining in
Message 17 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Everything was diagnosed by VM engineer and we both found that issue is due to Hub, not service. Apologies for not specifying this earlier.

I have been experimenting with devices in proximity of the hub, including switching all off, but this didn’t make any difference. Besides, why a 3rd party router located next to the hub is immune to this issue?

There are about 15 wireless devices registered, but none of those can be connected via ethernet cable due to distance and lack of LAN connections.

Those devices are our mobile phones, tablets and laptops (private and business), wireless bell, 4 wireless cameras, 4 wifi smart speakers and thermostat. Some devices only work on 2.4 Ghz.

Yes, I also suspected google devices, as each act as a router which be a separate network. None is close to the hub, but I will disconnect all just for a good measure. This would however be a major issue if smart speakers cause so much interference with wifi.

With regards to suggestion about the aftermarket router – I have already purchased one, but at a hefty monthly charge of £40 I should be able to rely on equipment supplied by the provided, not spending £100 on additional solutions. I have therefore purchased a router with a modem, as after many years with VM I am dissatisfied with this WiFi Mambo Jambo which already cost me a lot of money, time and stress. I also don't want yet another box that will need a power supply and space. 

0 Kudos
mkaminski100
Joining in
Message 18 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I have connected the vr900 router and my problems are gone.

Looking at recent to treads I can see that VM "super"hub has plenty of issues with WiFi and looks bleak compared with other providers.

I find it very worrying that users seem to know this issue and I keep seeing advises to use a separate router as the provided device is crap.

It's good that my contract runs out in September as it's not fair to force people to pay £££s for a supplementary device when users already pay £40 a month for service.

0 Kudos