cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 repeatedly crashing

Fenelon70
Joining in

My VM hub 3.0 is regularly crashing and requiring a power cycle to recover. This has been happening for a few months now, but now happens on average 1-2 times per day.

I have a mixture of Ethernet and WiFi connections to my hub, including a couple of additional WiFi hotspots to provide coverage in far corners of my house which are connected over Ethernet.

The symptoms are that internet connectivity just stops working for all devices, both wired and WiFi, but it always recovers when I power cycle the hub, suggesting that it's the hub that has crashed. This is backed up by the fact that I can't ping the hub (on 192.168.0.1) when it's down.

I have tried one call to VM, but was put through to someone who could only read from a pre-prepared script which was no help at all. (I am technically competent having spent many years working in IP/telco).

Can anyone suggest troubleshooting that I could do, or how to get through to someone at VM who can help resolve the problem and not just follow a script? I suspect I need a new hub, but how to convince VM of that?

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Lets have a look at the connection data - can you do this....

First do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends or loose wires on the connectors . Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

Then, Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) (DONT click these links) - and hit return. On the first page up dont login just click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of the Login page and then just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 tables from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again. If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Morning @Fenelon70, thanks for your post and a very warm welcome to our Community Forums!

Are you possibly able to address the response from @jbrennand and provide us with an update?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Fenelon70
Joining in

Thanks for the suggestions. Thankfully by broadband has stabilised and I have not hit the issue for a couple of weeks now. I will monitor and see if it recurs.