cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 network names

AnotherUser
On our wavelength

Hi,

I have a numbers of old devices that need to connect specifically with the 2.4GHz channel, while the others can connect to either the 5GHz or 2.4GHz.

To ensure that the old devices connect to the 2.4GHz channel, I have made some configuration changes so that I have two named channels - "networkname" for 5G and "networkname_2" for 2.4G.

The changes I made are as follows:

Under "Advanced Settings / Security" I have set the 2.4GHz SSID to "networkname_2" and the 5GHz SSID to "networkname". I have not made any other changes.

Under "Advanced Settings / Wireless Signal" I have disabled channel optimization. I have not made any other changes.

I set up the old devices to connect to "networkname_2" and the others to connect to "networkname". All web access seems to be working fine.

However, I do have one (known) problem. I have a Samsung Smart TV which I need to connect to my laptop through the Samsung SmartView app. When the app loads it says the TV and laptop must be connected to the same wireless network. I have set up both to connect to "networkname", and although the app on the laptop seems to recognise the TV, the TV doesn't seem to recognise the laptop.

In configuring the two channels, have I missed something that might cause this?

14 REPLIES 14

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Use a better wifi router with 1Gb ports and put hub in modem mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Anotheruser,

Thank you for your post. We appreciate everything you have done so far and sorry to see that you are still having issues. A couple of questions we would like to ask just so we can get to the bottom of this together. Do you have a VPN set up on your laptop? Also did you get the same error when both your 2.4gh and 5ghz networks were merged? Is the OS on your laptop and handset up to date? If you can answer all these to your best ability that would be great! I know it can come across daunting but we are here to help! Just let us know how you get on.

Thank you.

Katie - Forum Team

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey AnnotherUser, thank you for reaching out and yes of course we can look into this for.

What sort of issues are you having with your networking naming? 

are you struggling to name them or it certain networks needs to connected to the 2 or 5ghz for example?

I have also had a read up on the link posted to your question in there and it looks like its about naming them but please can you confirm?

Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Make sure the time on the laptop and the TV are the same.

Also try a reset on the TV.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Katie,

Thanks for your reply.

There is no VPN on the PC.

The problem has only occurred since the Hub 3.0 unit was replaced last week. I haven't tried to connect to the TV to the laptop with 2.5G and 5G networks combined; with the old Hub 3.0, the networks were not combined and the TV and laptop worked together without problem.

The OS on the laptop is Windows 10, and hasn't changed for ages.

What handset?

Regards,

Cliff Cooley

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply.

Naming the networks isn't the problem, although I'm concerned I may have missed something (I listed what I did in the original post). The devices that can only handle 2.4Ghz are connected to the 2.4Ghz named network and work fine. Similarly those devices that can handle 5Ghz are connected to the 5Ghz named network and they too work fine.

Specifically, the laptop and Samsung Smart TV are both connected to the 5Ghz network

The problem is with connecting the Samsung SmartView app on the laptop with the Samsung Smart TV. When I open the SmartView app on the laptop, it says to ensure that both the TV and the laptop are connected to the same network, which they are. The SmartView app can see the TV I want to connect to, but the laptop doesn't appear as a 'source' on the TV.

Regards,

Cliff Cooley.

The times are the same on both the laptop and TV.
Not sure what you mean by a reset on the TV.
Regards,
Cliff Cooley

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues connecting the TV anotheruser, this is not the experience which we want you to have. Can you confirm if you are still having this issue or has this since been resolved?> ^Chris

Hi Chris.

No, I haven't yet managed to sort out the laptop's Smart View app / Samsung Smart TV connection issue.

Regards,

Cliff Cooley