cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 compatibility with Mesh systems

tonybrowning
Joining in

Inspire of investing in boosters there are areas in my property where there is no wifi signal.

I am considering investing in a Mesh system  (eg Google Nest, BT, disc, Netgear Orbi).

Any recommendations as to which system is most compatible with Virgin Hub 3.0 and provides best coverage and speed

75 REPLIES 75

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Test at https://speedtest.samknows.com and see what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Screenshot 2021-12-02 at 16.33.58.png

this is the result from above site. my Mac is currently connected to 2nd deco  , main deco is in first floor connected to hub. 

if picture didnt load , I am getting DL- 121mbps and UL- 38.4mbps

Hi 

Well I finally got the Tenda MW12 AC2100 Tri band mesh 3 pack.  Was set up within minutes, although the 3rd node played up a bit until I realised there was firmware update then all sorted. I reckon I could have easily managed with just 2 nodes, but it was only £10 more for the 3 pack for some reason. My only complaints at this stage is that the app won't assign the nodes to a room as it is supposed to do, and why can't manufacturers give us longer cable on the power adapters!!  I'm getting 110 Mbps over most of the house, I'm on Virgin 100Mbps so happy with that. I changed the SSID and password to existing one and everything seems to be connected. Just got to find how to extend the power cables. Regards.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Bob747 wrote:

<snip>   why can't manufacturers give us longer cable on the power adapters!!  Just got to find how to extend the power cables. Regards.

Not recommended to extend low power cables as it may drop the voltage just enough to give intermittent problems.  Best to look at a simple mains extension lead and plugging the Mesh power cable into that.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for that. Makes sense but a 1m extension? Would that really cause such problems? Thing is, I've loads of extension socket strips but they are so bulky.