cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 compatibility with Mesh systems

tonybrowning
Joining in

Inspire of investing in boosters there are areas in my property where there is no wifi signal.

I am considering investing in a Mesh system  (eg Google Nest, BT, disc, Netgear Orbi).

Any recommendations as to which system is most compatible with Virgin Hub 3.0 and provides best coverage and speed

75 REPLIES 75

Spoke to soon, now battling with Sky Q boxes

update may have found solution to this, not mine found elsewhere will keep updated on progress 

added sky q main and sky mini to reservation list under advanced in deco app and turned off mesh for each in deco app as they won’t be roaming 

seems to stay connected 🤞

WMLEE
Tuning in

This is a great thread. Thanks all so far. 

Following this thread with interest, am about to buy mesh system ( Google WiFi looking good as reduced price).  Will be using as main router connected to Hub3, I didn't realise about the attached ethernet cables to the Hub3, lucky I have a Gb switch that has couple spare ports.

If I set the SSID and password that i currently have on the Hub3 as the one for the new router this should mean I won't have to reconnect all my devices? Such as smart plugs etc.

Regards

@Bob747 wrote:

If I set the SSID and password that i currently have on the Hub3 as the one for the new router this should mean I won't have to reconnect all my devices? Such as smart plugs etc.

Yes, basically, if you use the same ssid and password as you currently have on your hub 3, then there is no need to update your devices. They will just connect as normal.

How would I connect my Deco Mesh System to Modem mode? as I was under the impression that to change the Hub 3 to Modem mode you would have to have another 3rd party Hub connected to the original Hub 3, then connect your mesh system to the 3rd party Hub and then change Hub 3 to modem...as thats what I thought.....

so are you saying that I do not need a 3rd party Hub and that I can connect my Deco mesh system to port 1 on Hub 3 and then change Hub 3 to Modem mode and it will be far better???

Thanx

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Huckle1 wrote:

<snip>. so are you saying that I do not need a 3rd party Hub and that I can connect my Deco mesh system to port 1 on Hub 3 and then change Hub 3 to Modem mode 

Yes and no.  Disconnect all Ethernet cables from the Hub, set the Hub to modem mode and switch it off.  Set the Deco for Router mode and leave switched on. Connect the Deco WAN port to the Hub. Power on the Hub.  This sequence only needs to the first time you do this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
just to add.. there's a quirk with some units in the deco range that means you have to do the initial setup of the first deco unit whilst connected to the hub when it is in router mode - so you can register it online for the App - so do that first and then follow Adduxi's protocol

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Looks like I might be going for the Tenda MW12, has triband and is going for £135 for x3 units on Quzo.net.  That's£20 cheaper than Amazon!  Anyone else using Tenda mesh, should I be taking this to another posting? 

Hi @Bob747, thanks for coming back to us.  

Please do keep us updated with how things go.  Remember if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R

Hi all ,

this is a great thread for starters like me ,helped me a lot to configure my setup. I am with virgin and have deco.
Recently I upgraded my BB speed to 500mbps ..! hub is in modem mode, deco in router mode. All fine , everything is working fine apart from speed. 

When I checked the speed the deco app its shows 500+mbps properly but when I check the speed using fast.com or speediest.net from my laptop or from my phone , I can see I am only getting 100mbps. Anyone else facing this issue , can someone help me to fix this speed thing.

thanks