cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 compatibility with Mesh systems

tonybrowning
Joining in

Inspire of investing in boosters there are areas in my property where there is no wifi signal.

I am considering investing in a Mesh system  (eg Google Nest, BT, disc, Netgear Orbi).

Any recommendations as to which system is most compatible with Virgin Hub 3.0 and provides best coverage and speed

75 REPLIES 75

I found it worked out of the box.  There is some malarkey with the Hub 3 where once you've put it in modem mode you need to turn it off and then on again, and when it comes on it locks to the first MAC address it finds, so if you had your PC connected when powering on after selecting modem mode it may not then connect properly when swapping that lead for a new router.  I don't know if it matters which port you use, but my Deco is connected on the bottom port - suggest you try the following:

1. turning the hub to modem mode,
  2. turning the hub off,
  3. unplugging all ethernet leads from the hub,
  4. connecting the Deco to the bottom port
  5. and restarting the hub. 

That should allow the lead unit to get an internet connection - you may also need to check the Deco operating mode is set to Router in the Advanced settings page of the control app.  If all of this still doesn't work its more likely we're overlooking something about getting the hub into modem mode and connecting a router, (rather than faults with either the Deco or the Hub 3) so may be best to start a new thread to benefit from the wisdom of people who may have lost interest in this thread. 

In terms of are you missing anything by using the Deco for wifi and the hub as a wired-only router, the answer is a bit, but not a huge amount.  In Access point mode you've still got the benefits of mesh and multiple nodes, and you're avoiding the Hub 3's meagre wireless performance.  The Decos were designed to manage a lot of devices and are five years or more newer technology than the Hub 3, so I'd recommend using the Decos in router mode if possible, but for most domestic use you probably wouldn't max out the Hub 3's meagre device management capabilities, and at a consolation that gives you three spare ethernet ports to use on the Hub 3.  In the event that you choose to keep the Hub 3 in router mode with wireless turned off, you would need to make sure the Deco is running in access point mode, because otherwise you risk peculiar conflicts of having two routers fighting over IP addresses, although it is possible that the Deco is clever enough to recognise when there's a router already active.

When you have a mesh device such as a Deco which is designed to replace your router you should use it as intended (as this will utilise its full capability) and put the hub into modem mode. If you leave the hub in router mode you'll then have two DHCP servers running, something which makes no sense in the typical home network.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Just to say once I had follows those instructions provided above all is now working!

Thank you all for the advise given.

For info, I did successfully switch the router to modem mode and I am now happy to stick with that opposes to router mode.

I did successfully switch the router to modem mode and I am now happy to stick with that opposes to router mode.

Errrmmm.....I didn't quite follow that?  

You are at liberty to use either the Deco M4 or the Hub 3 as a router.  If the Hub 3 is in Router Mode, then you must set the Deco to Access Point Mode.  If the Deco is the router, then the Hub 3 must be in Modem Mode.  I'd recommend using the Deco in Router Mode and the Hub 3 in Modem Mode, but either approach will work.

If you have both Hub 3 and Deco in router mode, then there's a high risk of problems as they will both try to manage connected devices causing a range of interesting but unwelcome problems.

Hi guys, I bought the Tap Link Deco 4 and it works great except now no TV thru virgin, do I now need to use the spare Ethernet point 2 from the deco and connect to a switch to plug in my Ethernet cables.... only just seen these posts as I’ve packed up my deco to send back as non compatible 🙈.....

You need to connect wired devices to the Deco 4 and you may need a switch to the Deco 4 LAN port for more ports.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I've recently purchased and set up the Deco E4, set up using the Virgin Hub in Modem mode and the Deco as my network via an ethernet cable connected to the virgin hub.

All is fine and we are running with better speed around the house, however I'm only getting around a 1/4 of the speed of which I pay for (200mb), I simply put this down to needing to do a reset of the Hub and have done this. When then connecting to the hub via wifi I was getting speeds of above 200mb and set the Deco back up again.

Now I'm still getting max 80/90mb instead of the 200mb, it is stable throughout the house which is better than the hub on it's own but why can't I get the Deco running at 200mb?

@Smoggyudt wrote:

Hello,

I've recently purchased and set up the Deco E4, set up using the Virgin Hub in Modem mode and the Deco as my network via an ethernet cable connected to the virgin hub.

All is fine and we are running with better speed around the house, however I'm only getting around a 1/4 of the speed of which I pay for (200mb), I simply put this down to needing to do a reset of the Hub and have done this. When then connecting to the hub via wifi I was getting speeds of above 200mb and set the Deco back up again.

Now I'm still getting max 80/90mb instead of the 200mb, it is stable throughout the house which is better than the hub on it's own but why can't I get the Deco running at 200mb?

The ports on the Deco E4 are only 10/100 ports so you’re getting the max achievable speeds.

Not sure why manufacturers bother putting those ports on devices. Cheaping out I guess and it’s fine if you have broadband 100Mbps or slower. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

So I've bought the incorrect model, totally didn't realise, if I had I would have gone for the M4 or the P9 as don't they support faster speeds?