glad to see you got started.

Go Advanced Settings>Security>Firewall
0 Kudos
philiptew
Tuning in
Message 52 of 103
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 and VPN

Thanks for that. I have disabled my firewall. However, VM still blocking me from connecting with IP Vanish website. I think they have blocked all VPN services from being enabled and a bit miffed to say the least.  It's bullying from Big Brother.

n1n wrote:
Hey Phillip,

glad to see you got started.

Go Advanced Settings>Security>Firewall

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 53 of 103
Flag for a moderator

i can use VPN services from vm connections so they are not blocking them
0 Kudos
n1n
On our wavelength
Message 54 of 103
Flag for a moderator

You can connect on to your home network from a device using OpenVPN?
0 Kudos
philiptew
Tuning in
Message 55 of 103
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, but I'm not savvy on technical matters. What device would I need and what is an OPEN VPN?
0 Kudos
Begize
Joining in
Message 56 of 103
Flag for a moderator

Hi All

Just a word as both a Virgin Media customer, user of Cisco VPN from home and tech support at work.

Previously, Virgin used to use something called Advance Network Error Search to "redirect" traffic on their network that seemed to be going to the wrong place. In simple terms, if a user typed www.amazooone.co.uk and it doesn't exist, they would direct that to www.amazon.co.uk. Other ISP's do the same thing too, some more openly than others. This caused issues with VPN connections with some strange results. In our case at work, users will connect OK to their email and some internal websites, but others won't work. They will be able to see some shared areas on the network, but not others. It can be very intermittent.

The good thing was that you could turn off this "service" through you MyVirginMedia but it seems that recently there's been a change on the VM network and the option to turn it off has been removed.

However... you can ring support and ask them to do it. Our users have had mixed results as some agents don't seem to know anything about it so, for those struggling with intermittent VPN access, tell the agent that it's the tick box in the Service Details block in the HSD service entry in CDFE.

Hope this helps some of you.

n1n
On our wavelength
Message 57 of 103
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your answer but how does this help users trying to access their own network from outside their house?

I'm trying to connect to my own IP from my phone at work and to allow my family to view photos from my own server at home. They aren't trying to go to amazoone.co.uk they are trying to use an OpenVPN token I have created.

So Cisco man, what's the plan?
0 Kudos
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 58 of 103
Flag for a moderator

Privacy is better using a IPsec VPN isolation, it will decrease DNS leaks, which some people do not account for.

All the software VPN services are not worth bothering with, these are just "glorified proxy's". You pay for privacy, yet there are cases where VPN evidence has been ordered by Supreme Courts, laws vary from country to country.

0 Kudos
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 59 of 103
Flag for a moderator

philiptew wrote:
Thanks, but I'm not savvy on technical matters. What device would I need and what is an OPEN VPN?

OpenVPN is a Linux program, for controlling a VPN. Some people load them on to routers, and run them at router level which is quite secure. Other people use the mini-computers like the Raspberry Pi v3 Model B, and load a minimal Linux distro, and OpenVPN so it runs as a VPN at router level.

Configuring is fairly easy using online tutorials to use OpenVPN.

0 Kudos
mikefarnham
Joining in
Message 60 of 103
Flag for a moderator

One thing worth trying.....

I had this problem last year but from in side my house (something to do with NAT).

I wanted to check out router access for when on holiday and kept getting blocked out after what looked like initial success.

I then changed web browser from IE to Firefox and Chrome both of which worked!

n1n wrote:
Thanks for your answer but how does this help users trying to access their own network from outside their house?

I'm trying to connect to my own IP from my phone at work and to allow my family to view photos from my own server at home. They aren't trying to go to amazoone.co.uk they are trying to use an OpenVPN token I have created.

So Cisco man, what's the plan?

Mike.

0 Kudos