cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 and Killer WiFi issues

golec83
On our wavelength

Hi,

I've received a new Dell XPS laptop with an Intel Killer WiFi module (AX1650).

It seems that the virgin hub 3.0 is incompatible with some of the newer features on the wifi module and quite often when I power on the laptop or wake it from sleep, the router seems to be rebooting.

I have an Eero router and Hub 3.0 is in Modem mode.

Eero Router stays up throughout every reboot 10 times out of 10.

Attaching a video link to show precisely what is happening. 3 pings, one to Eero router (192.168.1.1), one to hub (192.168.100.1) and one to internet (8.8.8.8).

router reboot 

From what I understand this issue has been present for quite a while in the virgin hub (on my former laptop I have replaced the wifi module to work around it, this time, the module is bolted onto the board). Is there a permanent fix in firmware in any hub that virgin is offering or any possible solution to the reboots?

Thank you,

Chris

48 REPLIES 48

Not much help to those having issues but I also have a laptop with a Killer WiFi Chip and amn't experiencing any of the issues others are posting.  The only difference that I can see is that I have an AX (WiFi 6) router (Asus RT-AX88U) connected to the hub (which is in modem mode).  I've also updated to the latest driver version.

I can't remember what's in the driver advanced settings in device manager (not on my own laptop at the moment) but it may be worth disabling 802.11ax mode if possible (i.e. tell it to connect to anything up to 802.11ac).  I'll take a look when I'm back home and see if it's possible to do that.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
And what if the ISP you move to has the same problem?
---------------------------------------------------------------

mrman365
On our wavelength
Thanks for the suggestion!! I have now forced it to connect to ac mode.
I went to Properties, Configure, Advanced, Wireless Mode

Will give feedback on how it goes. If this works, I will kiss you.

Hi @mrman365,

I'm very sorry to hear that your connection issues have bee ongoing.

Please do let us know if the problems persist following these settings adjustments and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

mrman365
On our wavelength

@paul0363

So far no wifi disconnections. I don't want to talk to soon but I think.... your suggestion may have... worked?!

Will give further updates.

mrman365
On our wavelength

Sadly I'm still getting disconnections with the outdated Virgin Media hub. 😞

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @mrman365

Sorry to hear you are still getting disconnections, have you set up a BQM to monitor the drops in your connection? https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

Please share your BQM graph results on this forum topic so we can see what is happening.

Kind regards,

Serena

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Serena_C wrote:

Sorry to hear you are still getting disconnections, have you set up a BQM to monitor the drops in your connection? https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

For a wifi problem that wired is fine?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @legacy1

Thanks for point this out to me!

Apologies for suggesting a BQM @mrman365, it would not be appropriate given that your wired connection is working fine.

Kind regards,

Serena

mrman365
On our wavelength

Have just tried my laptop at my friend's house who is with community fibre 1gb and they have a Linksys router and separate fibre modem. No issues.

When im at home, Im having to use my phone's hotspot feature some of the time when I cant wait for my virgin hub to come back up. I don't suffer from this problem on my One plus 6T phone either.

So far its only with a virgin hub.

Killer or Virgin need to do something about the incompatibility of this technology considering its been out for a while now or at least highlight it as a known issue and make their technicians aware so other people aren't unnecessarily having their modems or entire cabling replaced like I and some others went through.

Leaving Virgin at end of the month anyway so putting up with it for now.