cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 and Killer WiFi issues

golec83
On our wavelength

Hi,

I've received a new Dell XPS laptop with an Intel Killer WiFi module (AX1650).

It seems that the virgin hub 3.0 is incompatible with some of the newer features on the wifi module and quite often when I power on the laptop or wake it from sleep, the router seems to be rebooting.

I have an Eero router and Hub 3.0 is in Modem mode.

Eero Router stays up throughout every reboot 10 times out of 10.

Attaching a video link to show precisely what is happening. 3 pings, one to Eero router (192.168.1.1), one to hub (192.168.100.1) and one to internet (8.8.8.8).

router reboot 

From what I understand this issue has been present for quite a while in the virgin hub (on my former laptop I have replaced the wifi module to work around it, this time, the module is bolted onto the board). Is there a permanent fix in firmware in any hub that virgin is offering or any possible solution to the reboots?

Thank you,

Chris

48 REPLIES 48

Found this thread because I've been having the same problem ever since I purchased my XPS17 which has a killer AX1650s wifi adapter. 

All my other connected home devices (16 in total) all work fine on the network but whenever I use my XPS17 to browse the internet I experience random occurrences of my Cable modem rebooting. It may be minutes after starting up my laptop or it may be an hour...but eventually the cable modem reboots and all my devices loose internet connectivity as the modem re-establishes a link with my ISP. I can tell it is the modem rebooting because of the lights on the modem. I know the router stays on-line throughout the modem reboot as I can still wirelessly connect to the router's admin page while the cable modem reboots. This also tells me that my laptop's wireless card is still working since it can still communicate with the router fine.

This has been happening every day for the last month. All associated with the use of my XPS17. The strange thing that I've noticed is that the cable modem has only reboot while I've actually been using a browser to browse the internet. I can stream video using Netflix or Prime for hours on my laptop with no cable modem reboots but as soon as I go to a web browser and start navigating pages, the modem will eventually reboot within minutes to an hour. Again, this is only from my XPS17 laptop. I have three other laptops at home (Dell Latitude, HP, and Acer) which have no problems with web browsing. Same thing with my Samsung phone, iPhones, and iPads. Only the XPS17 laptop web browsing reboots the cable modem. Makes absolutely no sense and has been frustrating me to no end trying to figure out what's the root cause.

I've captured a reboot using Wireshark on my laptop and can see the point where suddenly the connection is lost but don't know enough about TCIP to be able to note anything that may be out of place. A screen shot of the Wireshark log is pasted below. Hoping there is someone that can help with diagnosing this issue that seems to be a common problem amongst users.

My network setup is as follows:

Cable modem: Hitron CGN3 modem (I'm actually a Rogers customer for internet, Virgin for cell phone) configured in bridge mode.

Router: TP-Link AX3000

Rumball_0-1625153186114.png

The image is blocked because of probably personal info like IP address / MAC addresses - can you blank out and repost?

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Steve_Watford
Tuning in

Hi, I have exactly the same problem.

New Dell XPS15, connected through Netgear Orbi then Virgin hub 3.0 in modem mode.  Go to do any surfing and the hub3 reboots.

I have an ethernet adaptor, so connected to Orbi via cable (not Wi-Fi) and exactly the same issue.

It is only browsing that triggers the reboot (and yes I've tried multiple browsers etc).

Dell support are blaming the hub3 and appear to have given up. Virgin have replaced hub, cables etc.

Anyone any ideas of what to try next?

USB ethernet dongle - disable the Dell onboard!

See if that works!

Hi,

I've given up between all those constant reboots and got myself an USB wifi dongle.
Surprise surprise, no further reboots.

I still feel that Virgin should sort out their Hub 3 as it seems to be specifically failing with the Killer (now Intel) WiFi modules. I don't think replacing anything in the hub is making any difference, it does seem to be some sort of a software issue. Still need to do wireshark out of curiosity when I get some time to play with this.

Considering that this has been an issue with Virgin Hub for the last 2-3 years now, I advise anyone to get a separate WiFi dongle and use it at home just.

It's a weird one and I'd love to know what the card is sending to force a reboot!

Probably an overflow somewhere!

If anyone find a solution please let us know, I have the same issue.

mrman365
On our wavelength

Well well well... My suspicions surrounding my brand new Acer Spin 3 laptop with its so called fancy Killer(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter (201NGW) and my virgin media hub having compatibility issues are correct!!

You are not alone. For the past 2 months my virgin media hub in router mode looks like it is rebooting whenever im using my laptop. The wifi connection drops off and the SSID disappears from the list from all my devices. Sometimes it happens straight away when i boot up my laptop but certainly happens frequently every 50 mins or so. Sometimes does it two or three times in a row.

Very annoying!! I thought it was my hub's power supply or the cabling so I replaced everything but still happening. I'm actually leaving virgin at the end of the month because of it.

Turns out its the wifi card. ironic how its called "killer". Its totally killing my experience and f**king things up!

Honestly I think technology has gone backwards with all these issues and manufacturing defects, Quality control issues and generally just poor technology that is supposed to be great.

If I manage to resolve the issue, will share it.

Thanks for posting @golec83

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Get a killer wireless router with 1Gb ports and use hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

mrman365
On our wavelength

No thanks. Not spending any more money on sh*t technology only for it to be replaced next year with version 7, then version 8, etc when there is nothing wrong with the previous wifi versions! Plus I haven't noticed a slight bit of difference in speed with version 6 other than router reboots. All I want is to browse the net and watch youtube. Don't want to be an IT technician in the process.