cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 and BT Whole Home WiFi dropouts

Quadsk8dad
Joining in

I have bt hub 3 running 9.1.1912.304 firmware and 3 whole home BT discs running v1.02.12 build02 firmware.  I am getting 1-2 dropouts a day now after being fairly robust up until November/December 2020.  This is infuriating not just as I am working from home, but also with 3 kids trying to do schooling from home as well.  

I have been reading the boards and i am aware that there was supposed to be a rollout of a firmware update to address an issue with the premium discs in December.  Was this selected users only and did it address what seems to be a similar issue with the "regular" whole home discs?

Or is there a "by request" update that might sort this out?

rgds

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Quadsk8dad wrote:

@legacy1 wrote:
Get a wired router and use the hub in modem mode.

Any recommendations?  Is this like an unmanaged ethernet switch ? 

Is this necessary if hub3 is in router mode with wifi switched off like it is now, or does it remove some flakey element of the puzzle?

It shouldn’t be necessary, as you’ve already bought a better WiFi solution, albeit one that has some issues with the hub (see sticky post at the top of this forum) but I guess it depends on how much you value a system that “just works”. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

27 REPLIES 27

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Do you have the premium discs or the normal ones?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

the normal ones - bought a three pack from amazon last summer and fine up until around November-ish, with dropout once a week, but its been probably once a day for the last couple of weeks...

So one of the discs is wired to the hub.

Do other wired devices drop off as well?

Have you also disabled the hubs Wifi broadcast?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

First disc ethernet to the hub3 in living room.  Hub is connected to virgin media box and to telephone. 

Disc is wireless to the other two hubs at opposite ends of the landing to relay signal to respective kids and my office.

At a random time (cannot find a reason or any specific time)  the wired disc will go purple and the others will go red.  The wired disc needs to be restarted to get back on the network.

How often are they rebooted manually? I’ve heard that they need a kick every week or so

I have been rebooting them whenever there is down time, which does not currently seem to be too often!  However at least once a week.  I tried resetting the Hub3 to factory defaults a couple of weeks ago and it went back to the 302 firmware.  It updated automatically to 304 again at some point after.  I though the reset would get me back to the stability of last summer, but the last week has seen at least once dropout per day.

Originally I had my work computer on a BT powerline to the back of the hub as well, which I ditched to go fully wifi.  I thought the powerline might be interfering, but it has made no difference.

Also tried router mode with wifi switched off, but made no difference.

completely stumped at moment...

So the hub needs to be in router mode with the Wifi broadcast disabled. Otherwise it interferes with the BT discs. 

Yes, so it has been in either modem mode (no wifi) or router with wifi disabled.  I pulled out the powerline ethernet connector (no wifi) - it connects from the ethernet in the back of the hub to the ethernet in the back of my PC.  So current situation has only wifi from the discs - when it is not dropping out!

just reading some other posts, that in modem mode, only one ethernet point is live. SInce we had three connected at one time (Virgin TV box / Mesh / ethernet wall socket) would this have created interference between the connections? We currently have Mesh / Virgin TV connected, so two ethernets connected.