Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 and BT Premium Whole Home WiFi

Kev_B
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi,

We've identified an intermittent interoperability issue affecting some customers who've bought a BT Premium Whole Home WiFi solution for use with a Hub 3.0.

We're currently working on a fix for this which will be rolling out in a future firmware release. We'll provide an update once the firmware is ready.

Our apologies for any inconvenience caused, please bear with us whilst we get this problem fixed.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

187 REPLIES 187

Fix is released for issues with Virgin Home Hub 3.0 and BT Premium Whole Home Wifi. 

If you have the BT standard or mini whole home wifi then you have a different issues to this forum and the firmware fixes will not make any difference for you sorry.

I FIXED IT ALL!!!!!!!

Well, kinda lie. I have ended up getting rid of the BT whole home discs and going for a Netgear Orbi mesh system instead. I don't blame BT at all, their customer service has been amazing... I blame Virgin Media and how poorly they have dealt with this known issue.

Really is shocking guys... I hope for everyone else's sake that someone on here gets their 4r$$'s into gear and sorts out this issue pronto. 

Anyone else reading this and that can afford to go out and get the Netgear ORBI (a lot of money but needs must... I'm now working from home full time and can't have the issues that Virgin have given me with their router and BT mesh) GO AND DO IT!!! Great speeds and a faultless system.

All. the best

Jay

Following all the messing about have just installed my mesh Netgear mx63 Wi-Fi system and dumped the BT disks . All flying now getting 227mb on an iPhone and all iMacs flying on Ethernet and Wi-Fi ! Just put hub 3 in modem mode and all my troubles gone! 

Can I ask whether you resolved your BT Whole Home problem? After 6 months trouble free WiFi connection through BT disks they stopped working at the weekend, showing no Internet connection. Numerous resets/reboots and still can't get any signal. BT have informed me that I need a firmware update to my Hub 3 but getting no response from Virgin. Frustrating.... 

Again I ask is this the premium BT version or not?

James,
I had my Virgin Hub 3 firmware upgraded by emailing the moderators of this forum and asking for it.

I have the non-Premier version of the BT Whole Home discs and unfortunately it didn’t help - still getting regular dropouts which can only be fixed by powering off/on the Virgin hub.

I had also gone via Virgin’s call centre and they sent me a new Hub 3 (with old firmware) to try - have just hooked that up today, so not sure if it will help.

if your connection has totally gone then you may need a new Hub 3 or it could be something broken in your bt whole home. Are you able to connect to the Hub 3 Wi-fi (prefixed “VM”, you may need to enable it)?

The hub 3 updated firmware only fixes the issue with a BT Premium whole home WiFi in conjunction with the BT early adopter firmware.

Hence you have a totally different issue.

Therefore if you want to use the BT discs then if the new hub doesn't solve issues I suggest you put hub in modem mode and use router in-between as discs can't work as a router. Or if not look at a mesh system that works as a router like tplink m5.

Just frustrating when works fine for 6 months then stops. Reset both VH3 and BTWH on numerous occasions, swapped primary hardwired BTWH disk and even swapped ethrenet port on VH3 and still nothing. Only asking about firmware update for VH3 as that's what BT suggested and what other other non premium users have suggested on this forum. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I don't understand this at all. If the Hub firmware fixes a problem for some users and as far as we know has no downside for others, why can't it just be generally propagated? 

Not everyone with the particular BT discs will have found their way here, and there may be others still to buy them and find they are not going to work.

Just get on with the update and put an end to it once and for all !

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Patrick0,

Your issue sounds very familiar. I received three new Hub 3s and spent countless hours on hold before speaking to Virgin call centre employees who claimed all software updates were automatic, I had the latest one and, if my non premium BT WholeHome system didn't work, it was a BT problem.

Of course I didn't. But, thanks to this thread, I do now. 9.1.1912.302

And my BT Whole Home system hasn't crashed since.

Good luck!