Highlighted
el_tobe
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 Unmanaged Switch Issues

Hi there,

Setup is as follows:

Hub 3 (in modem mode) is connected to an newly purchased unmanaged switch (TP link). The switch is connected to an ASUS wireless router (situated elsewhere on the house) and a Virgin V6 box. The switch effectively replaces an older ASUS wireless router which has now been removed (was working fine in this configuration).

If I power down, connect one device (via the switch) and power up, all is well. If both devices are connected only one will work. If I get one working and try to connect the other, the device connected last will not work. 

Cables ruled out by connecting one at a time (or directly to the hub).

Any ideas? Do I need a managed switch or a wired router here? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 Unmanaged Switch Issues

You CANNOT connect any network switch between the VM hub and your own router when in modem mode. The hub must be connected directly to the router in modem mode.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
el_tobe
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming - I’d begun to suspect that was the case.

Looks like my only options are to do lose the switch and enable Wi-Fi on the V6 or replace the switch with a router. Presumably the latter will work?

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Super solver
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@el_tobe wrote:

Thanks for confirming - I’d begun to suspect that was the case.

Looks like my only options are to do lose the switch and enable Wi-Fi on the V6 or replace the switch with a router. Presumably the latter will work?

As Tudor has already stated, you need to connect a Router to the Hub 3 when it's in Modem mode.  Put the Router you already have back in place of the switch.

Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You have two options:

1. Do as the other guys suggest and put the switch behind the router.

2. Leave your devices connected as they are but put the hub back into router mode and you'll need to configure the ASUS as a wireless access point. The benefit of this is that you'll have both the hub and the ASUS providing WiFi. And you may not even need the switch as it depends on how many devices you need to connect, if it's just one or two then omit the switch and connect to the Asus.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
el_tobe
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all the input. Option 2 looks most flexible. I thought I’d read somewhere that the Hub router was somehow less capable than one from ASUS/TP link etc. but if it will do the job (reliably), I’ll go with that!

Out of interest, why do people switch to modem mode in this sort of configuration. Is this just to disable wireless operation?

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I have never run the Hub3 in router mode, always modem mode. I use a Ubiquiti USG 4 Pro router, WAPs and network switches. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Modem mode is for when you want to use your own router for broadband and WiFi, partly because the hub is notoriously bad for configuring.

To set up your Asus: log into it, set its IP address to the same IP segment as your hub's (something like 192.168.0.8) and disable its DHCP server. Initially I'd have the Asus's SSIDs to be different to those of the hub's. With only the Asus connected by any of its LAN ports to the hub, reboot the Asus and you should get broadband and WiFi.

--
el_tobe
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

So, have had a play around with the ASUS configuration and it appears option 2 (disabling the DHCP server and reverting the Hub to router mode) might be a no go. The ASUS is actually the primary router in an AiMesh network and it appears that the DHCP server may be required for  configuring the node. 

Assuming that I can’t leave DHCP enabled on both the Hub and the primary ASUS router, seems my only remaining option is to remove the switch and enable Wi-Fi on the V6 box? 

Thanks again for all the responses. 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Don't you love it when only part of the setup is provided.

The easiest option is to put the hub into modem mode and set up the Asus in AiMesh mode. You then connect the V6 by Ethernet to the Asus or connect the switch to the Asus and the V6 to the switch.

--