cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 Permanent Red Light

luissequeira
Tuning in

Hello all,

I have an issue with my broadband Hub 3.0. Since a couple of weeks ago, it has a red light always on. I read in another post (https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-3-0-Red-Light/td-p/4490286) that this might be a hardware problem, I have had this device for at least four years. I have tried to reboot it but red light is always on.

I have called support twice and they told me that they cannot do anything unless the device breaks since they cannot see any error.

Does someone can give some advice on how can I proceed or get it fix?

Thanks in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

@luissequeira If it doesn't get replaced when the technician visits, let us know. 

It would be totally and utterly indefensible for VM to be doing any new customer connections and Gig 1 upgrades if they are telling other customers to keep using equipment that is indicating that it is overheating.  Whether that's real overheating, a faulty indicator, or "just" a CPU cooling fault in the hub, it is not acceptable and not responsible.  And since the visiting technician will not dismantle the hub, probably has never even seen the inside of one, undoubtedly has no training in solid state devices, I doubt they will be able to give an authoritative answer on whether it is overheating, and is safe.

If the hub didn't need an overheating indicator it wouldn't have one, and since it does, clearly the makers expect the provider to do something about it, and that would not include saying "don't worry about that, it's OK".  The fact that VM have a hub supply chain with zero resilience is no excuse.   

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

luissequeira
Tuning in

I just wanted to post the solution that worked for me, I really hope you can get a different one.

The journey: complain, complain and complain!

1) SMS to support.

2) Call Technical Support.

3) Find the solution yourself.

4) Call Technical Support again.

5) Complain in Twitter and tag VM.

6) Post here in the Community.

7) Go back to Twitter and post that you got no solution on the community and tag VM.

If you follow the steps, you might get an engineer at your place after a week. The engineer will see the hub and will say "you got a real problem", he will change the hub for a new one and will leave your home after 10 minutes.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

17 REPLIES 17

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @luissequeira

Is the device hot to touch when you reboot and also is the red light on every day? Have you noticed any issues with the service itself?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi @Travis_M,

Thank you for replying.

It is not too hot, it is warm as usual it has plenty of space around so that air can flow. The red light is always on every day no matter what, while rebooting or working.

I have not noticed any issue with the service or speed neither, so far.

My concern is that I rely on the broadband for work and do not want to wait until it breaks to do something.

As long as the service isn't affected and the hub isn't hot to touch, it's absolutely fine @luissequeira and wouldn't need replacing. I'll feed this back to our team to highlight the red light issue with no apparent reason for it.

My apologies for the inconvenience but please do update us if any issues arise, we'll have this sorted as soon as possible if so.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

Can I have an explanation why this other customer got a replacement for the same reason and I did not?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-3-0-Red-Light/td-p/4490286 

If VM are happy to leave a potentially overheating hub in your living room - having had it called in - then I guess they'd be happy to pay for any damage should the hub catch fire! Faulty warning light can be worse than a fault. 

It would be the hub that cried wolf!

(It's definitely in router mode and not modem mode?)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Hi luissequeira, 

Thanks for sticking with us on this one. 

Whilst we're not able to replace it currently, I would like to arrange for an engineer to come and check things just to make sure that all is OK. I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi lotharmat,

Thanks for replying. Yes, it is in router mode.

Hi Kath_F,

Thank you for replying. I sent you my details via private message.

@luissequeira If it doesn't get replaced when the technician visits, let us know. 

It would be totally and utterly indefensible for VM to be doing any new customer connections and Gig 1 upgrades if they are telling other customers to keep using equipment that is indicating that it is overheating.  Whether that's real overheating, a faulty indicator, or "just" a CPU cooling fault in the hub, it is not acceptable and not responsible.  And since the visiting technician will not dismantle the hub, probably has never even seen the inside of one, undoubtedly has no training in solid state devices, I doubt they will be able to give an authoritative answer on whether it is overheating, and is safe.

If the hub didn't need an overheating indicator it wouldn't have one, and since it does, clearly the makers expect the provider to do something about it, and that would not include saying "don't worry about that, it's OK".  The fact that VM have a hub supply chain with zero resilience is no excuse.