Menu
handsomeinked
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 Modem mode speed far below speed in router mode

Hi there,

Is anyone else getting massive speed drop offs when using modem mode? I noticed that if I put my Hub 3.0 into Router mode I get ~700Mbps however as soon as it's in modem mode, using Cat6e cables to connect to the Linksys WRT 3200ACM (running it's stock firmware) I only get around 300Mbps 😞 Could it be that VM are throttling users in modem mode?)

Neil

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 Modem mode speed far below speed in router mode

The max VM do is 500Mb not sure why your getting 700Mb try a better speed test
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@handsomeinked wrote:

I noticed that if I put my Hub 3.0 into Router mode I get ~700Mbps

no you don't!

0 Kudos
handsomeinked
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I stand corrected, it was actually 620Mbps, I actually tweeted VM at the time, here's a link to the tweet: https://mobile.twitter.com/handsomeinked/status/1100526458886373377?s=19

But my question remains valid, is anyone else noticing a big drop off in speed between modem mode and router mode?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

when you put it in modem mode what other devices are connected to your router by wifi or cable and using your bandwith ?
Pull the cable out from the router, leave the Hub in modem mode and wire a device directly into the Hub and report what speed you get then - that will be the Max possible (assuming no issues on the device).

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@handsomeinked wrote:

I stand corrected, it was actually 620Mbps, I actually tweeted VM at the time, here's a link to the tweet: https://mobile.twitter.com/handsomeinked/status/1100526458886373377?s=19

But my question remains valid, is anyone else noticing a big drop off in speed between modem mode and router mode?

you're not getting 620Mbps down on a 350Mbps package.
your speedtest app is faulty.

0 Kudos
handsomeinked
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The same devices as when it was in router mode. 3 x FireTV 4K, Synology Diskstation, Vonage VoIP adapter, 3 x echo, 12 smart bulbs, 2 laptops. Obviously when I do a speed test all bar the laptop I'm using plugged direct into the hub or router is powered down.

0 Kudos
handsomeinked
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I've never had any issues with Fast.com before.  The speed you see stayed consistent until I moved into modem mode (as do AirBnB with spare room so prefer to be able to have granular control of DNS using OpenDNS) I understand you don't believe it. I didn't until I tried Ookla as well, I just prefer fast.com. Even if you're only prepared to accept 500Mbps which isn't the case but never mind, I can't be bothered to argue as clearly nothing I say is going to convince you short of inviting you round which would be weird; the question is still valid I only get ~350Mbps in modem mode.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

test at speedtest.net to a VM server the way I said unplug the router

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Look in the Hub settings config file and post up what the "Maximum downstream traffic rate" box shows - you cant exceed that.

Here is mine on Vivid200  - I have NEVER exceeded 230mbps.

Screenshot 2019-06-29 at 19.44.58.png

--------------------
0 Kudos