cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 Ethernet not working / intermittent

johnny366
Joining in

I have 4 incoming ethernet connections to my Home Hub 3, but none is working. It's been happening intermittently in recent months. All 4 ethrernet port lights on the hub are green. The Hub admin tool currently shows 

Ethernet Connected devices: 0

1 cable is directly in the same room, the other 3 go to wall sockets, then to wifi access points in other parts of the building. 

10 REPLIES 10

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

First thing to try is a pin hole reset, has been known to 'cure' the odd problem. You say you have WAPs, but does the WiFi still work on the hub when the Ethernet ports are in a failed state?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks for quick reply Tudor.

Yes Hub wifi is working, and currently the only way to the internet. Wifi at other WAPs is available to connect to, but no internet of course. 

Is a pin reset back to factory settings? I'll try it.

Nope. Tried the reset.
Also tested each ethernet cable port with my laptop, and only get self-assigned IP address.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@johnny366 wrote:
Nope. Tried the reset.

Try a 60 second pinhole reset as below, you may have not given enough time?
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Johnny336,

Thank you for your post 🙂 

I am sorry you have been having issues with your ethernet ports, I can see you have followed @Adduxi's advice and rebooted your hub, has this helped? 

Zoie

I thought it helped, but Im having same problems. After restarting Hub and WAPs, WAP work as expected (correct IP address, wifi to internet, Airplay) but a few minutes later it all falls apart. Ethernet IP addresses get self assigned, and no wifi beyond the reach of the Hub.

I have been experimenting with the WAPs in case their settings are messing up the network, but Im totally stumped. They seem to have the correct settings but  once on the network it all fails. I really want to have wifi and ethernet connectivity in the two remote zones, linked by ethernet to the Hub 3. I also want the wifi to be 'roaming' set up, with the same SSID and password.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @johnny366

Thank you for coming back to us. 

I have taken a further look over your account & can see that you have had an engineer out yesterday, did they manage to get this resolved for you? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

I think I have finally identified the problem, and it is so annoying I want to share in case it helps others. The issue was caused by the ethernet adaptor I use for my MacBook when at my desk. It is the kind with multiple in/outs including HDMI for my second screen and USB-C power. I was in the habit of unplugging the adaptor from the laptop and walking to other parts of my home, leaving the adaptor still powered and apparently causing some network noise. Disconnecting  power from the adaptor ( or the adaptor from the ethernet cable) solves the problem.